Default Cruising options from malta

So after my previous post we decided against the 50ft flybridge (price kept going up and fuel costs). We have now got ourselves a new v40 which will be shipped to Malta end of April all being well. Any suggestions for cruising from there would be great. I've tried searching the forum with some limited success. I may be wrong but I get the impression that Sicily and Malta don't offer the best cruising ground. We have previously sailed in the Ionian round meganisi etc which was absolutely lovely but had initially thought of going north to Italy, Sardinia, Corsica and up to sof or Balearics. We are keen to anchor/ moor in bays overnight rather than spend too many nights in marinas. My main concern about heading up rather than down to Greece is how crowded it might be in July/August.
    I'll post some pics of the new v40 when I have some that don't just show a pile of cushions cluttering up the stern cabin!

Home Chester UK Boat based in San Pedro, Costa Blanca

Default Re: Cruising options from malta

Good luck for when she arrives. I think that you would be well advised to keep clear of The Balearics in July /August. It is just so busy, plus very hot. The Greek Islands I would imagine to be less crowded, because much bigger playground, and you are able to get to the marinas quicker than the yachts , which tend to arrive late afternoon.
    The Balearics are wonderful cruising grounds and not to be missed, but make it June, Sept or October when the weather is still perfect. Interested to know your route, can you make Sardinia to Minorca in one hit ?
    Rgds,
    Roger

If you are looking at bays etc and don't need marinas then Mallorca etc is excellent and although busy is not that crowded in July and August and weather its better for swimming off the back of the boat than say May!

Malta has a some very nice bays for a small island measuring 12 x 24 km. The North side have a few protected areas to the NW winds (the Med prevailing wind), and when that is resting Gozo and Comino are full of spots you can enjoy.

With NW = Big and small Hole in South, Qawra, St.Pauls bay, Mellieha bay*, Balluta*, St. Georges Bay
    With SW = Comino West side (St.Mary*, St. Nicolas*, Blue Lagoon*), Gozo - Marsalforn, Ramla Hamra* (red sand), Sanblast, Mgarr ix-Xini, Fungus Rock
    With E = Crytal Lagoon* and Blue Lagoon Canal* (Comino), then West side of Malta Paradise Bay*, Golden Sands, Apples Eye, and Mgarr
    Anyways some I remember off my mind. I do not think Mallorca has so much bays the offer. But I might be wrong.
    * means they get crowded in peak periods

Sicily has also some interesting areas, especially up North and around the Eolian and to the West Egadi islands. You also have the Capo San Vito and spectacular Palermo area. The area which is lacking the most is the South coast of Sicily buy they have a couple of top standard marinas which opened up in the last years (Ragusa, and Licata).
    So if you want a short spin Malta has a lot to offer, I sleep on anchor on weekends from May till September, and if you want to get adventurous and taste the best fish remember that Sicily is only 50 nm away.

The only problem with Malta is actually boat traffic especially in the period (July to mid September) and in weekends or around public holiday and mid August period.
    Since recession hit Italy (2012) Sicily is much more quiet, tough it does get busy around August especially around the popular areas (Eolian Islands, Taormina, Syracuse etc)
    Last edited by PowerYachtBlog; Yesterday at 21:39.