Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Notice to Mariners Week 13

I would be interested if you could give more detail of its potential location. Several of us went looking for an American plane that was lost over the Estuary in 1944. The interest was that the last position recorded was approx 51.41N 01.50E (way over towards the Galloper) yet another plane had seen the damaged plane while heading from the North Foreland to the Buxey which could have been a typo error meaning 51.41N 01.05E. Hence we went to look for the FOUL just north of that positon where we found the German engine. So where is the US plane? Any suggestions where you saw that 'wing' would be useful.
    www.crossingthethamesestuary.com

38 years is a long time to remember- sorry !!! & i was only crewing , plus it was pre GPS days. We were going N-S trying to get into the Whittaker channel which was so low that we could not find it. So we bumped from bank to bank using the echo sounder in the dark gradually working west
    From memory the wing was roughly to the north of the South Buxey. However, not the current position the, old position. When I raced round it in the 60/70's it was to the NE of the Ridge half way between there & the Swin Spitway (from memory) so you would have to look at some old maps.
    The Swallow tail had not been named then but a spit was forming from just SW of the Whittaker & beginning to block the entrance to the Crouch. This meant that you had to get through a narrow gap & aim for the unlit black S Buxey then the Ridge & the Sunken Buxey etc etc.
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

Looking out my 1985 chart (when the Swallowtail was nothing less than 'less water reported'), north of the South Buxey would put it @ 51.40N 001.02.5E which is now just west of the Swallowtail West cardinal or rather where the Swallowtail West is. If I draw a line between North Foreland and Wetherfield Aerodrome the damaged US plane was making for home, that position is SW 1.25nm from the track! There was a brisk SW wind that day. Perhaps just all coincidence..... or.....

I must dig out older stuff.
    www.crossingthethamesestuary.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12