Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Notice to Mariners Week 13

Permanent from the UKHO

1. ENGLAND - South East Coast - Dover S -Wrecks. Revised depth (reduced) on an old wreck off Dover in the Inshore area. Plenty of water at 14.5;
    2. ENGLAND - East Coast - River Thames - Barking Reach - Depth. - reduced depth (4.9m) to the East of the Thames Barrier on the northern edge of the deep water;
    3. ENGLAND - East Coast - River Crouch - Buoyage. - This is an official rfepeat of the Crouch local NtM about the deletion of the three yellow special buoys marking the previous Wallesea shiooing turning circle.

Temporary

1. CANVEY ISLAND - WASH AND DRAW-OFF DANGERS ON PUBLIC BEACHES - usual annual warning by the Port of London Authority to avoid dangerous wake off Canvey;
    2. Dredging at Harwick berths and vicinity - usual procedure starting from 21st March for about 10 days - Disposal at the Inner Gabbard;
    3. Brightlingsea Harbour is conducting dredging;
    4. Lowestoft Outer Harbour - Borehole works 20th March for 2 weeks approx;
    5. Dangerous Wreck on the Buxey Sand edge of the Swallowtail channel - This is an 'unofficial' notice to Mariners. *I have been told by Mr Alan Bird, a local oyster dredger and yachtsman who has seen detail of the 'Obstruction' in the channel between the Swallowtail and the Buxey Sand. *Charts currently show there is an 'Obstn' drying 2m at 51.40'951N, 001.03'541E. *However, Mr Bird records the position as 51°40’924N *001°03’660E - which is further from the edge of the Buxey Sand in approximately 1.5m CD, narrowing the channel between the two sands - and believes the 'Obstn' is substantial and dangerous remains of a wreck. *It is not marked! Mr Bird has submitted an H102 to the UKHO but kindly given me details of the wreck and a copy of the images. *I have selected the best two images of the overview. *Note that the tail end of the Swallowtail can be seen on the left of the image showing how narrow the channel is. The waypoint symbol on the chart image shows the position recorded by Mr Bird. Usual page is http://www.crossingthethamesestuary.com/page9.html - select the Temporary list.

Hey ho!
    www.crossingthethamesestuary.com

Default Re: Notice to Mariners Week 13

That's a nasty looking piece of hardware, I shall give it a wide berth.
    There used to be a story about a German bomber that crashed on the Buxey, could that be it? Probably a bit too far East though.

There are two German bombers on the Buxey and said to have a Lancaster there as well. One of the bombers is the Foul to the east. One of the engines and two landing wheels are there - one of the tyres still inflated. The second bomber is towards the northern side I'm told.

The Foul is this:

- wheel and part of the undercarriage

The engine upsidedown. It is thought the plane was blown up, presumably to make it safer. Not sure I would want to hit the engine with the bilges!

Quote Originally Posted by tillergirl View Post
    5. Dangerous Wreck on the Buxey Sand edge of the Swallowtail channel - This is an 'unofficial' notice to Mariners. *I have been told by Mr Alan Bird, a local oyster dredger and yachtsman who has seen detail of the 'Obstruction' in the channel between the Swallowtail and the Buxey Sand. *Charts currently show there is an 'Obstn' drying 2m at 51.40'951N, 001.03'541E. *However, Mr Bird records the position as 51°40’924N *001°03’660E - which is further from the edge of the Buxey Sand in approximately 1.5m CD, narrowing the channel between the two sands - and believes the 'Obstn' is substantial and dangerous remains of a wreck. *It is not marked! Mr Bird has submitted an H102 to the UKHO but kindly given me details of the wreck and a copy of the images. *I have selected the best two images of the overview. *Note that the tail end of the Swallowtail can be seen on the left of the image showing how narrow the channel is. The waypoint symbol on the chart image shows the position recorded by Mr Bird. Usual page is http://www.crossingthethamesestuary.com/page9.html - select the Temporary list.
    Many thanks, once again. Long may you enjoy providing this wonderful service.

More than once, I've passed close to that obstruction early on the ebb when beating down to Harwich in a north-easterly - I'll give it more room in future with our 1.98m draft. Never actually seen anything above the water.

Please pass on thanks to Alan Bird, very public spirited to report his findings and a great help to all who sail the Crouch.

Peter

Sure, I'll pass that to Alan - who at the moment I suspect will be on the chilly Saltings. It will be interesting to see what the UKHO make of it and if, as I am sure they will, exchange emails with us I will feedback your comment and any others that are added.

Oh, and keep clear of that V12 aero engine in the image above which is marked as 'FOUL.

I'm surprised that someone hasn't tried to recover the engine and rebuild it. It seems to be in remarkably good condition after 70 years in seawater.

Thanks for the wonderful service you provide, and please extend thanks to Alan Bird

Quote Originally Posted by Glayva View Post
    I'm surprised that someone hasn't tried to recover the engine and rebuild it. It seems to be in remarkably good condition after 70 years in seawater.
    Bit of WD40 perhaps?

We copied the H102 to the Crouch Harbour Master this morning. The response is prompt in an acknowledgmeent and the issue of the following new NtM

River Crouch - NAVIGATION

Admiralty Chart No 1975 - Thames Estuary Northern Part

We have received a report that the Obsn 2 on the Southern edge of the Buxey Sands North of the BUXEY EDGE Light Buoy (in position Lat. 51˚ 40. 659’ N *Long. 001˚03.487’ E) has moved slightly to the South East to a new position of:

Lat. ****51˚ 40. 924’ N *
    Long. *001˚03.660’ E

Now believed to be a wreck of possibly up to 70 feet in length, stanchions have been sighted at low water approximately 1 metre above the water.

Mariners are advised to remain within or close to the Fairway between Swallowtail No 4 and Buxey Edge buoys when navigating in this area.

On the day that the Fastnet of 1979 started we left Cowes in a UFO 34 for Burnham ( been doing Cowes week) The wind followed us all the way & we flew the spinnaker from Cowes to just short of the approaches to the Crouch when it got dark. The weather felt weird. The surface of the Thames was absolutely flat without a ripple but we were doing 6 kts with a full spinnaker from the wind several feet up. We could not get into the Crouch due to very low water. We motored N & S trying to find a channel.
    I leaned over the side to wash a plate & against the dark horizon saw what I thought was a sail. I shouted a warning to the helm. Others started looking & when we shone a torch on it we realised that it was the wing of an aeroplane sticking up out of the water. It stuck up really quite high.
    Never seen it since & never heard of anyone else seeing it either.
    The tide was so low that we spent a couple of hours trying to find enough water to get into the Crouch; & that was in the days when one could get in & out with ease.
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast