Thread: Anodes?

Default Anodes?

Hi
    I have recently become the owner of a small steel Dutch river boat I'm in the process painting the outside along with plenty of other bits and pieces
    I have had it lifted ready to rub down etc I have noticed that it has two anodes one each side towards the front of the hull they still look like they was put on yesterday but the bolts holding them on are rusty as hell so I'm assuming they are not working as they should ? As the boat has been sitting in the water for over a year possibly longer .
    The river is tidal so its in salt water
    So what could the problem be ?
    Also the boat has a outdrive and the aluminium is showing signs of corrosion although it is fitted with two small triangular anodes (but maybe the was corroded before )
    Also should the outdrive be somehow electrically connected to the boat ?
    Any advice please as I want to make sure I get it right before she goes back in the water

Default Re: Anodes?

Rust on the exposed bits of bolts is common. It is the contact with the hull that is important. are there any signs of corrosion on the hull?

The drive is almost certainly isolated from the hull (or should be) the anodes are to protect the aluminium housing . They need replacing regularly. The corrosion you have is almost certainly historic. suggest you take the housing back to bare metal, clean and repaint using an appropriate etch primer first.

Yes there is corrosion on the hull
    Is it a simple case of checking the electrical contact with a test meter ?
    I was going to ask about painting the drive leg can you advise what paint and primer to use?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny5 View Post
    Yes there is corrosion on the hull
    Is it a simple case of checking the electrical contact with a test meter ?
    I was going to ask about painting the drive leg can you advise what paint and primer to use?
    Id have expected the hull anodes to be nearer to amidships if there are only two or for there to be two more towards the stern. The total number required however depends on the wetted area. You don't give any indication of the size of the boat though.
    There is advice and a wetted surface area calculator on MG Duff's website together with fitting instructions etc . At one time the website was good but now its very difficult to find the info one requires!

Yes check the electrical contact between the anodes and the hull with a multimeter on its lowest ohms range. I'd have expected the anodes on a steel hull to be mounted on welded on studs rather than being bolted on., in which case you only need to check from anodes to studs. I am surprised they have rusted while in the water. Rusting usually occurs once the boat is out of the water and the anodes are no longer effective

I'd also expect there to be more anodes on the outdrive than just the two triangular ones. There is usually a fairly large bar anode on the bottom of the transom shield and a ring anode on the lower gear casing maybe others as well but you don't say which outdrive you have.
    Last edited by VicS; 21-03-17 at 01:27.