Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: James Silver of Rosneath and John Bain designs.

I believe Silver Sonnet has been on The Thames since the 80's,gradually deteriorating.

Asking 67k
    www.boatshowrooms.com

Ive known of this boat for years, she used to be moored near Platts Eyot, Port Hampton. On the south Bank. I ever gave it much thought when she disappeared. I see though its now for sale at Henleys sales and charter.
    There's a rather arty photo of her here;
    https://fineartamerica.com/featured/...eigh-kemp.html

Hi Guys - new to this forum but this is the closest thing I can find to an active fan site for Silvers. This is a long shot I know - but does anyone have any information on the Brown Owl 2 class that was/is/maybe lying on the hard on the west bank of littlehampton? I don't know much about it other than I think it was on ebay circa 2004 after having partially sunk. Obviously some one bought her but can't find diddly on the intwerwebs about her other than a few pictures of her looking boarded up and a bit rough.

By accident there is an image of a Silver in the foreground:

P1040194 by Roger Gaspar, on Flickr

Zoomed to look close:

P1040194a by Roger Gaspar, on Flickr
    Last edited by tillergirl; 02-06-18 at 16:51.
    www.crossingthethamesestuary.com

Missed this thread up until now.
    My Uncle kept an Ormidalse on the Clyde and west Coast for about 30 years. It was in beautiful shape when sold a few years ago.
    I think she is still going strong.

Sold for not very much, who wants an old wooden boat now.

Thats a lovely boat but sadly not the one I am trying to hunt don. I will TRY and find a picture of her.

This is the one I mean. Can't find much about her anywhere but I think it's Brown Owl 2 class. I quite fancy a hobby!

If someone could tell me how to insert a picture that would be great!

Quote Originally Posted by Clayster View Post
    This is the one I mean. Can't find much about her anywhere but I think it's Brown Owl 2 class. I quite fancy a hobby!

If someone could tell me how to insert a picture that would be great!
    Well that would certainly keep you occupied!

I recall that when I was 13 or 14 I read a book (from the library perhaps) about a chap who found a Silver declining in a creek (on the south coast perhaps) and renovated her, the book culminating in a Channel crossing. My memory was the book was fascinating about the Silver and her renovation. I recall she had an 'engine room', so I guess she might have been a Brown Owl. Of course I cannot remember the title or her name. If I was younger I would do the daft thing and buy her.
    www.crossingthethamesestuary.com

Quote Originally Posted by ccscott49 View Post
    Yes, I still have Englander, in Corfu. She is indeed a John Bain, but built in Kent, supervised by John Bain himself, choosing the logs she was sawn from and built, he died before she was finished and I am sure he would have been proud of her, as I'm sure he still would be, I have kept her immaculate. A few of the Ormidale class were also not built by silvers, but by Millers of fife, they tended to have Gardner diesels, as the majority of Silvers built boats did not, a few had Cummins (shots of Scotland) engines, plus a few different types. Englander is not an Ormidale, she is a one off motor sailer, looks a little like an ormidale, until you moor them side by side, then the differences become obvious. As we did in Corfu, with Silver Modesty (MadPads vessel)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast