Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: James Silver of Rosneath and John Bain designs.

Alaskan Hi,
    Welcome to the forum.
    Just wondering why you reposted ccscott's post?
    Let me know.
    Thanks.
    Mad Pad

Hi,
    Well I am very untechy , and did not really mean to do that.
    As a previous owner of Englander , I bought her from Laurie Blair, who built her on the foreshore in Kent, I was keen to find out if Colin still owned her and where she was now. A great sea boat, I sold her to a pilot who then sold her to Colin.
    Hope this gets through !

Alaskan Hi,
    Englander is still in Corfu with Colin.
    You are probably in touch with him.
    If not and you want to contact him send me a PM.
    Best,
    Mad Pad

Hi MP
    Thanks for offer.
    It would be good to get in touch with Ccscott, havenít seen him for almost twenty years !

Since this thread has surfaced again.. I will add a bit about Erik's Fast Planing Tender (with the Coventry Victor 2T supercharged diesel) that I mentioned further up.
    I trundled over to Cognac last week and met the prospective buyer and explained all the techy bits. The weather was wet and uninviting, so the demo on the Charente didn't happen. We just fired her up briefly in the workshop.
    Sold and going to a mixed collection of classic cars in Ireland. It is likely the only one in good (excellent) condition with the original engine, out of over 500 that the RN ordered.
    DW

Quote Originally Posted by bigshineybike View Post
    Ive known of this boat for years, she used to be moored near Platts Eyot, Port Hampton. On the south Bank. I ever gave it much thought when she disappeared. I see though its now for sale at Henleys sales and charter.
    There's a rather arty photo of her here;
    https://fineartamerica.com/featured/...eigh-kemp.html
    I see she is back on the river bank mooring at Hurst park.

silverr sonnet.jpgsilver sonnet.jpg
    Silver Sonnet back on her old mooring.

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

That is a lovely picture. Thanks.

Hello fellow Silver's enthusiasts,

I'm so glad that I found this thread as every time I go looking for some info that might lead me to the latest status on my Dad's modest old 31' Silver Still, I find that either the found site isn't there any more or, as in the current quest; Silvers and the parent company have seemingly, gone bust (again).

My memory may be faulty, so please bear with me, but I think she was described as a Bermuda Ketch and she was a single screw with a Volvo Penta diesel, front and aft cabins with a central wheel house. Her only feature that I have never seen on any other Silver boat was her distinctive varnished tender that hung from white davits over the stern. We bought her in 1977-78 from Southampton (she was ignominiously tied up next to the then derelict Southampton ferries that were awaiting destruction) but she looked well maintained.

We kept her for the next twelve or so years at, what were the then new, Rank built and operated marinas on the Hamble (Mercury Marina and the other one where some lifestyle shots for "Howard's Way" were filmed) and we pootled around the Hamble, Solent, South Coats and, very occasionally, across to the Channel Islands.

I was press-ganged crew and most of my memories were of starting scraping old varnish off her each Spring, progressing in a continuous rotation around her and throwing the old brushes away in late Autumn. Our only drama was being on the edge of the 1979 Fastnet Race storm and spending all day off Poole, pitching and tossing to get about three NM without being able to turn around. Having a Coastguard helo above us, instructing us not to try to go-about for fear of capsizing and then asking if we wanted to be winched off, was the sort of excitement best enjoyed in recall in the school playground weeks later.

Can anyone advise me on how I might find out if she is still floating? I'm not looking to buy her back but she often comes up in family convos and it would be nice to know. Any advice or suggestions would be gratefully received.

Many thanks,

Richard.
    Last edited by Dicker; 06-09-19 at 18:55.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234