Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 41 to 47 of 47
  1. #41
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Boat in Milford Haven
    Posts
    1,961

    Default Re: Bilge vs Fin Keel

    Quote Originally Posted by wotayottie View Post
    When I used to race my bilge against J 24 etc I used to reckon that the disadvantage was about 5 deg of pointing.
    What bilge-keeler was it?
    Hanse 301 'Karisma' | sailingkarisma

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    swansea
    Posts
    9,723

    Default Re: Bilge vs Fin Keel

    Quote Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
    10 ft not enough? like I said it does vary and shallows to the stream that runs through the Pill! And a fig to your snide remark re Clubhouse side! We may lack facilities but we make up for that with a welcome to any visitors.
    Buying visitors a drink?

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    675

    Default Re: Bilge vs Fin Keel

    Quote Originally Posted by wotayottie View Post
    Buying visitors a drink?
    Kingstone?

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    218

    Default Re: Bilge vs Fin Keel

    Quote Originally Posted by bitbaltic View Post
    What bilge-keeler was it?
    Seconded
    Its not always a straight comparison of keel type, probably 90% of performance focussed boats have fin keel, or variants of a fin, whereas probably 90% or more of bilge keel boats are designed with performance much further down the list of priorities. Therefor choosing keel type does not impact the performance in itself, but the type of boat it restricts you to does impact performance in a huge way. I vote for choose whatever boat you look at that really does it for you, and forget about the keel until you're in the water. When you are, youll learn to love the benefits it gives you either way, whatever they are. Look for the package rather than restrict yourself by one component.

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Gloucestershire
    Posts
    4,024

    Default Re: Bilge vs Fin Keel

    Quote Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
    10 ft not enough? like I said it does vary and shallows to the stream that runs through the Pill! And a fig to your snide remark re Clubhouse side! We may lack facilities but we make up for that with a welcome to any visitors.
    Dried out in that stream once for a scrub off. Could reach the masthead from the bridge by the railway as well.
    I'd rather be naked
    www.mastaclimba.com

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    675

    Default Re: Bilge vs Fin Keel

    Quote Originally Posted by Graham_Wright View Post
    Dried out in that stream once for a scrub off. Could reach the masthead from the bridge by the railway as well.
    Was that before we installed the Leaning posts? Visitors welcome to make use for a scrub off! User guide, the lower cross bar when just in the water, there is 5ft of water over the pad!
    P1000603-001.JPG
    Last edited by Quimby; 05-05-17 at 09:11.

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    7,065

    Default Re: Bilge vs Fin Keel

    Quote Originally Posted by searj View Post
    Seconded
    Its not always a straight comparison of keel type, probably 90% of performance focussed boats have fin keel, or variants of a fin, whereas probably 90% or more of bilge keel boats are designed with performance much further down the list of priorities. Therefor choosing keel type does not impact the performance in itself, but the type of boat it restricts you to does impact performance in a huge way. I vote for choose whatever boat you look at that really does it for you, and forget about the keel until you're in the water. When you are, youll learn to love the benefits it gives you either way, whatever they are. Look for the package rather than restrict yourself by one component.
    Well said.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Find Boats For Sale

to
to