Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Hopefully returning to the Thames

After leaving the Thames and spending a few years on the Solent my wife would prefer to return back to the Thames. So to keep the crew happy in my boating world, the task of renewing the BSS and licence begins.
    I was hoping to move the boat and sort the BSS and license once berthed with the view of getting a visitors license so we can use it straight away. Unfortunately a lock keeper said this would not be possible.
    My question is how do visiting boats sailing round from the coast get away with using the Thames without the relevant paperwork? Also as we walked back to the car from the lock keeper yesterday I spotted two boats moored up showing out of date or no licence at all, one looked as if it hadn't been moved for quite a while. I want play by the rules but how do others get away with it right under their noses?
    Does anyone know a good BSS inspector in the Southampton, Hamble area so I can arrange it before moving her?

Default Re: Hopefully returning to the Thames

It is sadly how our authorities work. Having moved from the Thames as a riparian owner some 3 years ago our moorings were constantly being inspected with draconian fines threatened for the most minor infringements. We now live in a small village in the Southwest and have Police speed vans parked up 3 to 4 times a week catching maniacs doing 34 mph in the 30mph limit. It's a great money earner for the 'safety partnership speed awareness courses' a business run by an ex Chief Constable but the problem we actually have in the village is rather more serious and that is the speeders during the hours of darkness doing 60mph plus after a few drinks when we are often out walking our dogs before settling in for the night. Our Authorities are great at stamping their feet on the minor infringers; thats easy an lucrative. Major issues that actually matter to people who live in the area or use the river remain in the too difficult pile because they cost and don't earn.
    What if the Hokey Cokey is what it's all about....

Problem is you told the lockkeeper what you were doing, you should have just paid for a monthly visitors licence and then sorted everything out during the month
    Regal 2250 - see www.sportsboat.org.uk

Quote Originally Posted by mlines View Post
    Problem is you told the lockkeeper what you were doing, you should have just paid for a monthly visitors licence and then sorted everything out during the month
    No names or dates given so probably the route to take. Let's face it I'll be paying for a full years license regardless of how long I've actually been on the river.

Just tell 'em your name's Alistair Trotman. It'll take 'em 8 years to do anything about it!

Welcome back to the Thames. Which part of the river are you planning to call home?

Quote Originally Posted by Actionmat View Post
    Just tell 'em your name's Alistair Trotman. It'll take 'em 8 years to do anything about it!

Welcome back to the Thames. Which part of the river are you planning to call home?
    Without giving too much away, it'll be around Windsor.

Quote Originally Posted by russ View Post
    Without giving too much away, it'll be around Windsor.
    Good choice. If I didn't live so close to my boat I'd be there too, or even further upstream

You can get a month license then apply for the year after that. I've done it twice on boats brought onto the River from elsewhere. If you were to do this in August you would be able to get a September-December license for 50% of the full cost. That's how I did it. I was told by a lock keeper you can't do that. It was not my intention to stay longer than a month but things change sometimes. I don't really see how they can refuse but I suppose its possible. What if you hadn't asked ?
    Visitor licenses are expensive though so may work out cheaper sorting the BSS down there and getting a yearly license before you arrive ?
    Last edited by Outinthedinghy; 16-04-17 at 06:11.
    I like boats

There is an unsatisfactory absence of joined up thinking regarding EA registration requirements for BSS and insurance which has been raised by boating representatives and is being pursued.
    TMBA - Championing the non tidal Thames

Has anyone also questioned the last time EA did a check of all the licensed and unlicensed skiffs in order to check BR is doing their job right?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast