Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Yanmar 1GM water pump

I did post about the Irwin Bolt-Grips. The smallest one might work, although I think I used it on the Yanmar 7mm hex head bolts. You'll certainly nee sit n the bench to get the phillips out anyway. Good luck!

BTW, the impeller was probably changed when the phillips screws were put in. Not that it helps.
    Grow old disgracefully, it's more fun

The bolts holding the pump are flange head - which tend to slip more than normal hex head and washers. Just make sure you have a good fit ring on the inner bolt - and be careful ! Being slopped with yanmar grey paint does not help either.
    Change them for SS hex head - once out and free and well greased - new bolts will give you no problems in the future.

You soon find out if the seals are leaking - water belts out from the bottom of the pump.

Seals are cheap - easy to replace ( 1 circlip to remove bearing and shaft assembly )
    There is no gasket needed for the pump - it has a large diam O ring in a groove.
    I always remove the pump to do the impellor ( a bonus of nice new SS bolts ) - so can then check the spigots for furring ( they are not that big when clean ! )

Again many thanks for the thoughts. I'm lucky in that there's no great urgency to use the engine, and if I make a muck up well it can come out of the boat relatively easily. But will get the Irwin Bolt-Grips, and change to better bolts if lucky.

There is no gasket needed for the pump - it has a large diam O ring in a groove."
    If this is the case, why is there obvious signs of leakage?

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_Edwards View Post
    The Yanmar spares are very expensive, so I bought banjo fitting and brazed them onto a length of copper pipe, bent to the correct shape by hand. The copper tube worked OK, it was much cheaper, and lasted longer than the Yanmar steel part.
    My local Pirtek branch made me up a pair of rubber hoses. Took about 20 minutes, cost about £35 including four new bolts as the banjos were a little thicker than the Yanmar ones.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by ghostlymoron View Post
    There is no gasket needed for the pump - it has a large diam O ring in a groove."
    If this is the case, why is there obvious signs of leakage?
    Even an O-ring will leak if it is not well greased with silicone grease (having spent the last few days replacing and greasing 24 of the 40-ish O-rings on a Range Rover air suspension system! )

Richard

We have just had this same issues, but with a bit of northen engineering it works.

the nut is a 10mm so if you get a 9mm socket and extension and hammer this onto the corroded head (use alot of force) it dislodges the rust and frees the bolt then with alot of force into the thread (not torque) it shoudl pop off,
    the others came off using some nedle nosed molegrips.

after a few hours swearing ours came loose this way

Quote Originally Posted by ianc1200 View Post
    Again many thanks for the thoughts. I'm lucky in that there's no great urgency to use the engine, and if I make a muck up well it can come out of the boat relatively easily. But will get the Irwin Bolt-Grips, and change to better bolts if lucky.
    I've just tried my smallest Bolt-Grip on a cross headed machine screw and it was too big. Motor Cycle News had some tips regarding removing these last week, so I have to hunt the recycling bin and dig out the article. I"m also going to look at the extension kit for the Bolt Grips to see if there's a smaller one there.

Just looked, the smallest on in the basic set is 3/8" (~ 9mm), the expansion set has a 5/16th" (8mm). Check out Cromwell Tools for best price found today.

The article is in this week's MCN, the article in the paper is too big to scan and post here. You might find it on their website, but it's pretty good. Apart from the usual "apply penetrating oil, heat and/or shock by tapping the head, it advises hammering an oversize replaceable bit into the old head, using an impact driver, a mole grip on the screw head, cutting a new slot and applying direct heat to the bolt using one of those portable gas torches sold for soldering when you don't have electricity (like on the boat).
    Last edited by Topcat47; 21-04-17 at 11:00.

One last hurrah on this. I had a pair very corroded, phillips headed bolts to remove today. Using a scraper and a wire brush, I removed all the corrosion around the bolts I could. Then soaked the threads with GT85. I hammered an oversize bit into one and managed to remove it but the second did not succumb to this treatment. Nor did direct heat enable me to shift it. A further soaking in GT85 followed by gripping the head with a small mole wrench and moving back and forward eventually broke the friction and enabled me to remove it. +1 for the MCN article.

One last update for anyone still following this thread, the 8mm Irwin Bolt-grip can be persuaded over the phillips head on 4mm screws.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast