Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Sail on the Medway, Kent from Chatham Maritime Marina

Default Re: Essex Marina Excessive Wash

Quote Originally Posted by Triassic View Post
    I'm sure you're spot on, and long may common sense such as that prevail, however in these day of litigation and jobsworth I wonder just how long it will be before that changes. Imagine the scenario if some private company is contracted to enforce the bylaws in order to address perhaps a jet ski or wash issue, and they realise there is a whole lot of money to be made around other breaches that otherwise go unnoticed.......
    Your tri should create little wash at any speed, but speed limits are speed limits. That's what a policeman will tell, but then you will have to pull out your old warrant card!
    If my foresight was as good as my hindsight, I would be a multi-millionaire.

Quote Originally Posted by Concerto View Post
    Your tri should create little wash at any speed, but speed limits are speed limits. That's what a policeman will tell, but then you will have to pull out your old warrant card!
    Not much chance of that happening....! There was a day when common sense prevailed in policing, try telling that to a speed camera partnership these days........ which is why I raise the point. Be careful what you wish for around enforcement.

I have no problem with wash; My boat has handled far worse on the open sea.

The speed limit only applies to power driven vessels:

From the CHA Byelaws.
    Speed Limit
    6. Within the areas described in the Schedule hereto and indicated on the attached maps, subject to byelaw 5 and to the requirements of maintaining adequate steerage way and control, no Master shall permit or cause any power driven vessel to be navigated at a speed exceeding eight knots through, on or over the water, provided that this byelaw shall not apply to any vessel on any occasion when it is being used for Harbour Authority, police, fire-fighting or rescue operations in circumstances where such speed limit would be likely to hinder the use of the vessel for the purpose for which it is being used on that occasion.

That's brilliant thanks. I wonder if the same wording is in the Medway bylaw, would be useful next time I get told off!

Edit: It doesn't. Just looked up the Medway Ports River Bylaws 1991, section 22 says "No person shall navigate a vessel", and sub section 3 (a) (b) and (c) lists the various limits at various locations.
    Last edited by Triassic; 21-04-17 at 11:37.

Also worth noting that as soon as you use the engine on a sail boat it becomes a power driven vessel, displaying the appropriate lights or shapes.

Not that i've ever seen a motoring cone used.

Quote Originally Posted by Triassic View Post
    That's brilliant thanks. I wonder if the same wording is in the Medway bylaw, would be useful next time I get told off!

Edit: It doesn't. Just looked up the Medway Ports River Bylaws 1991, section 22 says "No person shall navigate a vessel", and sub section 3 (a) (b) and (c) lists the various limits at various locations.
    Having listened to the chap from Peel Ports basically state there is no chance of them responding to any complaints in real time about speeding you are probably quite safe.

Got to admit that is really going to make a difference. Well worth paying the harbour authority fee just for that alone
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

Quote Originally Posted by sailorman View Post
    For a newbe here, how do you know pvb is inconsiderate
    Please read my comment again, there was no reference made to pvb being inconsiderate.

Home:Nottinghamshire Boat: Blackwater Marina, Essex

Quote Originally Posted by pvb View Post
    Quite right too - there are a lot of inconsiderate mobo drivers.
    Two things missing in the modern world - tolerance & respect!
    I've learned from my mistakes and I'm sure I can repeat most of them exactly. - Peter Cook

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast