Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Portland Bill

Default Re: Portland Bill

Quote Originally Posted by mainsail1 View Post
    I think it is against my nature to sail that close to large lumps of rock. I have never gone that close and that is why the inner passage does not work for me.
    I have the same aversion to solid objects, but my prime concern with going inshore is the possibility of picking up a submerged lobster pot line. What was previously a safe place to be could very quickly deteriorate into a difficult and potentially dangerous situation.

What you want is a good rope cutter.

Only run one down once (it is pretty difficult anyway with a long keel and prop protected between hull, keel and bar) but there was a loud bang and that was the end of the that. How it got any where near the rope cutter I still dont understand to this day.

Quote Originally Posted by pvb View Post
    I have the same aversion to solid objects, but my prime concern with going inshore is the possibility of picking up a submerged lobster pot line. What was previously a safe place to be could very quickly deteriorate into a difficult and potentially dangerous situation.
    Yes, I would say that is part of the 'risk assessment' that would make me conclude the risks outweigh the benefit.

Depends on your keel and underwater profile, and whether you have mitigating factors like a rope cutter fitted
    Boogeying, head down, in mindless, no-nonsense sort of way

Quote Originally Posted by Saguday View Post
    Depends on your keel and underwater profile, and whether you have mitigating factors like a rope cutter fitted
    and if you are motoring rather than sailing!

Yes. We motored, because it was very calm, but we have a long keel with a protected rudder and prop so are p'raps less likely to pick up a rope - although I never assume we can't or won't.

I have to say one reason I didn't go 'really' close inshore was concern over the pots as I didn't assume we would see them all even with 3 of us keeping a look out in good conditions.
    Boogeying, head down, in mindless, no-nonsense sort of way

I'd echo the point previously made about the inshore passage at night. I found it impossible to judge where the shore and rocks actually were when I tried, there was just a general blackness in which nothing could be made out. Going nearer merely resulted in the blackness being higher up, I reckoned I was about 50m off at the nearest point. As for pots, if there were any I never saw them.
    If I'd wanted to live in a Banana Republic I'd have gone to South America.

Thank you all so much your info is of great benefit.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Saguday View Post

I have to say one reason I didn't go 'really' close inshore was concern over the pots as I didn't assume we would see them all even with 3 of us keeping a look out in good conditions.
    Sailing Into Portland a few weeks ago in bright daylight we never saw the bastards until they were abeam. Most were covered in black weed and almost pulled under with the tide.

Quote Originally Posted by horatio_nelson View Post
    Local knowledge here says line up the top of the obelisk on the tip of the Bill with the red band on the middle of the lighthouse to get the ideal inshore passage. It is close! Saw someone do it recently and it looked like you could step off onto his mast
    Last time we did it was in 1996 (now in Greece). We were advised that we should be close enough so that the top of the obelisk was above the top of the lighthouse; I think we could have picked mussels off the rocks as we went past; luckily is was flat calm and we were motoring.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast