Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Portland Bill

Default Re: Portland Bill

Quote Originally Posted by mainsail1 View Post
    I think it is against my nature to sail that close to large lumps of rock. I have never gone that close and that is why the inner passage does not work for me.
    I have the same aversion to solid objects, but my prime concern with going inshore is the possibility of picking up a submerged lobster pot line. What was previously a safe place to be could very quickly deteriorate into a difficult and potentially dangerous situation.

What you want is a good rope cutter.

Only run one down once (it is pretty difficult anyway with a long keel and prop protected between hull, keel and bar) but there was a loud bang and that was the end of the that. How it got any where near the rope cutter I still dont understand to this day.

Quote Originally Posted by pvb View Post
    I have the same aversion to solid objects, but my prime concern with going inshore is the possibility of picking up a submerged lobster pot line. What was previously a safe place to be could very quickly deteriorate into a difficult and potentially dangerous situation.
    Yes, I would say that is part of the 'risk assessment' that would make me conclude the risks outweigh the benefit.

Depends on your keel and underwater profile, and whether you have mitigating factors like a rope cutter fitted
    Boogeying, head down, in mindless, no-nonsense sort of way

Quote Originally Posted by Saguday View Post
    Depends on your keel and underwater profile, and whether you have mitigating factors like a rope cutter fitted
    and if you are motoring rather than sailing!

Yes. We motored, because it was very calm, but we have a long keel with a protected rudder and prop so are p'raps less likely to pick up a rope - although I never assume we can't or won't.

I have to say one reason I didn't go 'really' close inshore was concern over the pots as I didn't assume we would see them all even with 3 of us keeping a look out in good conditions.
    Boogeying, head down, in mindless, no-nonsense sort of way

I'd echo the point previously made about the inshore passage at night. I found it impossible to judge where the shore and rocks actually were when I tried, there was just a general blackness in which nothing could be made out. Going nearer merely resulted in the blackness being higher up, I reckoned I was about 50m off at the nearest point. As for pots, if there were any I never saw them.
    If I'd wanted to live in a Banana Republic I'd have gone to South America.

Thank you all so much your info is of great benefit.

Thanks again.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234