Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Marine ply offcuts

Quote Originally Posted by dancrane View Post
    Thanks Steve.

I seriously and soberly read "goat pegs" this morning, visualising a row of carefully and very specifically-shaped dowels in a traditional craftsman's workshop.
    "Goat pegs" are chess manoeuvres ... surely every one knows that!

B&Q sell a huge range of coat hooks'

Quote Originally Posted by dancrane View Post
    Thanks Steve.

I seriously and soberly read "goat pegs" this morning, visualising a row of carefully and very specifically-shaped dowels in a traditional craftsman's workshop.
    The pegs are nicely shaped and larger versions would be good for hanging goats by their hind legs while being prepared for the pot. Presumably you have seen the traditional way of butchering goats in countries where they are a staple part of the diet?

And there I was thinking they might be used to tether goats grazing on the stern deck of an Amel or such like if you preferred not to fit the plastic grass but thank you to all for advice as a number of options to reasearch . I did see ikea offers various storage solutions but I just thought that they might not be that robust for lockers .

If you're anywhere near Whitby I could give you offcuts 18mm i have loads as I'm building a hard dodger
    ""

Speaking of goat pegs, I've used 3M Command cord bundlers epoxied directly to GRP - not using the adhesive pads provided, and roughening the surfaces for extra grip. They could be similarly attached to wood - but might look a bit out of place on a wooden boat I suppose. http://www.diy.com/departments/3m-co...FZYYGwodi5sPcQ

Thanks Hydrozoan these might be much simpler and it is to GRP not wood so by sounds of it a tested approach ..Sadly not that close to Whitby but thank you for kind offer.

Re exterior & marine ply. Most today comes from the far east & is of such low quality that it will delaminate as soon as it even smells damp. Having a bs 1088 stamp means nothing. I tend to recycle the stuff if a boat is being broken up look out for bunk tops, locker traps etc normally good quality!

Quote Originally Posted by Keith 66 View Post
    Re exterior & marine ply. Most today comes from the far east & is of such low quality that it will delaminate as soon as it even smells damp. Having a bs 1088 stamp means nothing. I tend to recycle the stuff if a boat is being broken up look out for bunk tops, locker traps etc normally good quality!
    Not necessarily. Wickes exterior ply is very good. As a test I soaked a piece of their 9mm ext grade in a bucket of sea water for six months and it did not delaminate.

Quote Originally Posted by Hadenough View Post
    Not necessarily. Wickes exterior ply is very good. As a test I soaked a piece of their 9mm ext grade in a bucket of sea water for six months and it did not delaminate.
    I always leave a bit in the cutlery rack of the dishwasher for a few cycles. Found some very good marine ply around here. No voids and nice veneers.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12