Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Decent wind vane for classic 35ft sailboat

Update on my Seafeather:
    Very good from a reach to as close to the wind as I get.
    Quote good downwind, except when there's hardly any wind. Recently with a spinnaker only just filling, and almost no apparent wind, it struggled. But then I suspect that any type of windvane would struggle when there's no controlling reference force (wind).
    I'm so far very pleased with it.
    Geoff. C.: Galvanizing and anchor manufacturing.

Quote Originally Posted by H35 View Post
    A wind vane called "Servopilot" (according to seller) has come up for sale at a low price. I can't find anything is this brand, if the name is correct.

Attachment 64390

Any ideas of what it's worth, or If any good?
    It reminds me of the Windpilot but then most pendulum autopilots work on the same principle. It could well be a neat home-made example - if I am seeing correctly - using welded construction instead of castings. If such is the case I personally would have preferred stainless tubes instead of aluminium alloy.
    All I can say is that if it were available to me here (Malta) I would be very interested in examining it more closely for use on my own boat (Centurion 32).
    Should we paint what is on a face, what is inside it, or what is behind it?

Quote Originally Posted by PuffTheMagicDragon View Post
    It reminds me of the Windpilot but then most pendulum autopilots work on the same principle. It could well be a neat home-made example - if I am seeing correctly - using welded construction instead of castings. If such is the case I personally would have preferred stainless tubes instead of aluminium alloy.
    All I can say is that if it were available to me here (Malta) I would be very interested in examining it more closely for use on my own boat (Centurion 32).

It MAY have been produced in Norway, actually. Again according to seller...
    I've asked for some close ups of the gear.

IMG_2927.JPG
    IMG_2929.JPG
    IMG_2928.JPG
    IMG_2926.jpg

Got some more pics. Anyone recognize it??

Thanks for the new photos.
    I'm not too sure about the reduction of the bevel gears; usually the ratio is more likely to be 1:2
    Check what arrangement there is for 'automatic' disengagement of the paddle from the stock in the event of striking something in the water.
    Check also for signs of splitting in the nylon parts where there are screws, pins, etc., going through them as well as for corrosion near the stainless hardware.
    I still say that it is probably home-made; not in itself a bad thing because whoever built it was a craftsman and knew what he was doing and how to do it economically.
    Having said all that, I would still be interested in it for use on my boat if it were available... at an attractive price. Pity that it is 3,500 kilometres away!

Good Luck.
    Should we paint what is on a face, what is inside it, or what is behind it?

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream believer View Post
    . A hydrovane would not work at all as I could not set the main rudder to a single setting
    The Hydrovane I had on a previous fin keeled mid 80's AWB worked brilliantly upwind, where you don't really need one and down wind it was very good. It only struggled beam reaching, as did I and the Autohelm- unless well reefed down. Sometimes it would get chucked off course and you had to get her back on track.

But off a beam reach we didn't have any issues.

I guess what boat it's fitted to has a lot to do with how well a wind Vane will cope. Personally I dislike all the ropes, pulleys, faff and chafe that goes with some wind Vane systems, especially on a wheel steered boat.

>A hydrovane would not work at all as I could not set the main rudder to a single setting

Assuming you can lock the steering with the rudder centred it's the only rudder position you need after you have balanced the sails so there is no lee or weather helm. Having done that it will steer straight in any direction and any wind or sea state including big seas from any direction as we found in a gale gusting 50 knots over Bicscay. The only bit of string on a Hydrovane is a loop on a pulley at the cockpit end which you use to change direction or you can go to the vane and turn the wheel on it where the string would go, not a good idea in heavy weather.

Quote Originally Posted by KellysEye View Post
    >A hydrovane would not work at all as I could not set the main rudder to a single setting

Assuming you can lock the steering with the rudder centred it's the only rudder position you need after you have balanced the sails so there is no lee or weather helm. Having done that it will steer straight in any direction and any wind or sea state including big seas from any direction as we found in a gale gusting 50 knots over Bicscay. The only bit of string on a Hydrovane is a loop on a pulley at the cockpit end which you use to change direction or you can go to the vane and turn the wheel on it where the string would go, not a good idea in heavy weather.
    Reviving the thread, I am playing with the idea of adding a vane to our Discus (33'). Obvious question how to connect the main rudder properly? Also I wonder if our boat is small for the Hydrovane and I should look elsewhere? Their website shows 40'+ boats mostly.

Quote Originally Posted by GTom View Post
    Reviving the thread, I am playing with the idea of adding a vane to our Discus (33'). Obvious question how to connect the main rudder properly? Also I wonder if our boat is small for the Hydrovane and I should look elsewhere? Their website shows 40'+ boats mostly.
    I spoke to Hydrovane at the Southampton Boat Show last year about fitting one to my 10m boat and it is not an issue.

The evidence of the performance of different self steering systems from the Golden Globe Race last year is interesting.

Sounds good! I'll take a look on those Golden Globe results.

Also found an interesting blogpost in the topic.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast