Default Fairline Carrera re-fit

I am hoping to get the Volvo 280DP leg removed from my non radar arch Carrera within the next two weeks, and to get the boat on the water soon after that. As an on going project I am thinking of trying to make a few mods to rectify a few of the things that I think could improve the boat and bring it a bit more up to date. I have posted a few thoughts on the Fairline owners forum, but have not yet had much of a response so thought I would try here. I do not think that the general cabin layout can be altered significantly, but I am considering remaking the internal furniture with softer (curved corners etc.) lines and in a white/light coloured material, possibly high gloss fibreglass. Being vertically challenged I find the cabin entry steps very steep and think that it may be possible to add another step, perhaps by letting the bottom step protrude a little further onto the cabin floor and reducing (or losing) the locker door by the top step. I have seen a picture of the cabin door replaced by black/translucent door and a single piece (rather than the hinged two piece arrangement that attacks my head unless I am very careful!!!) top cover from the same material. I like the the helm seat arrangement, but find the rear bench seat and engine access hatch very heavy. I also like to access the boat via the swim platform, but not having to tread on the bench seat. A solution may be to introduce a transom door or an internal (hinged step) and having a central gap in the rear seating, with perhaps a corner seat on the stbd side. If practical this would mean dividing the engine cover into three sections. Any thoughts? other than buying a different boat. Geoff.

Default Re: Fairline Carrera re-fit

Quote Originally Posted by lewlew100 View Post
    I am hoping to get the Volvo 280DP leg removed from my non radar arch Carrera within the next two weeks, and to get the boat on the water soon after that. As an on going project I am thinking of trying to make a few mods to rectify a few of the things that I think could improve the boat and bring it a bit more up to date. I have posted a few thoughts on the Fairline owners forum, but have not yet had much of a response so thought I would try here. I do not think that the general cabin layout can be altered significantly, but I am considering remaking the internal furniture with softer (curved corners etc.) lines and in a white/light coloured material, possibly high gloss fibreglass. Being vertically challenged I find the cabin entry steps very steep and think that it may be possible to add another step, perhaps by letting the bottom step protrude a little further onto the cabin floor and reducing (or losing) the locker door by the top step. I have seen a picture of the cabin door replaced by black/translucent door and a single piece (rather than the hinged two piece arrangement that attacks my head unless I am very careful!!!) top cover from the same material. I like the the helm seat arrangement, but find the rear bench seat and engine access hatch very heavy. I also like to access the boat via the swim platform, but not having to tread on the bench seat. A solution may be to introduce a transom door or an internal (hinged step) and having a central gap in the rear seating, with perhaps a corner seat on the stbd side. If practical this would mean dividing the engine cover into three sections. Any thoughts? other than buying a different boat. Geoff.
    Hi don't know the boat well, but doing the inside is a good idea splitting the the engine hatch good idea making a rear door ,it might be part of the strength of the boat and water tight ,step would be best,imo

Seastroke, thanks for your reply and comments. The transom door idea is not to cut the transom as such, but to remove the centre section of the rear combing above the top of the steps up from the swim platform. There is already a flat step in the combing at this point and I am sure that what I have in mind will not compromise any strength as a "U" shaped f/glass frame will be bonded in. I intend to make the door open outwards (180degrees with offset hinges) and the new frame will include close fitting door stops. I love the old Carrera, but access, the rear seat and engine hatch are IMHO not very well thought out. Geoff.

Just a quick update - I think that my hopes of getting the boat afloat within the next couple of weeks was over optimistic. The leg is now off the boat (that was actually easier than expected). The water ingress culprit - the top gaiter was split and I think that the suction hose is a bit on the soft side. No real worries there as all necessary items will be replaced, but I think the the engine will end up having to be moved/removed to change the jackshaft (PDS) bearings and seals and I think that is a job I shall not be able to undertake myself. Geoff.