Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Our new / old boat

Hello Im new here. Been getting advice from YBW for so long and eventually have been approved to join in.
    I have just bought a wooden boat. We are currently waiting for delivery. Currently planning a floating restoration. Before we do too much remodelling I was hoping to find out a little history. Why it was built and how it may have looked when new.
    The seller described it as ;
    23ft Carvel wooden river launch from the 1930s. Built in St. Mawes, Cornwall. She may have been used as a ship to shore pilot vessel in Harwich Harbour during the war.
    She was once owned by the Edme Company of Mistley, Essex.
    She spent three generations in the ownership of a family of fruit farmers in Essex.
    The boat has a semi sheltered helm in an open aft cockpit with bench seating.
    Inside a cabin with two berths and a simple galley area.
    There is a substantial iron windlass, anchor and chain in the bow, more than is required in a river?.
    While looking for this boat we found two very similar boats for sale, Keff built in Fowey it was suggested and a Maid Madeline which did not have a history but which is identical in many ways.

The boat is called Nesta and has been used around Walton on the Naze. I wonder if anyone knows it?

Im particularly interested in;
    The windscreen looks very wrong to me I wonder if it would've had one when new?
    The roof light over the cabin looks far too big, perhaps its been taken off another boat?
    What size engine it would have had in 1930 Its now got a 1979 18 hp diesel

Its is currently carrying a huge quantity of lead in its bilges. A friend suggested that it was built as a Gentlemans cruiser (albeit a little small for a Gentleman of the period) and that during its war use in the sea it may have needed the additional ballast for stability.

I hope to be able to update you all as things progress. Launch date is currently 31st May!

Default Re: Our new / old boat

Just a thought. If practical use the boat for a season before starting any 'remodelling'. That way you will get a better idea of what does or does not need changing for your use.
    The cockpit shelter and rooflight may well be a later additions, but could make the boat more comfortable, depending on where she will eventually be based. Tabernacle indicates a mast, might she have had a sailing rig at some time? This could explain the ballast. There will be evidence of chainplates for standing rigging if so.

All the best with the project.

The photograph is taken in front of Halls & Co boatyard at Walton. Trevor Hall would be the first point of contact, and if it's been in the area a long time the Walton & Frinton Yacht Club just adjacent may have an elderly member who remembers some history. There's nothing I could find in a trawl through Lloyds Registers 1930-1980. The other boat (I assume in the Wooden Ships advert http://www.woodenships.co.uk/small-c...cabin-cruiser/) certainly looks very similar with a much more in keeping main hatch.

Thanks for that. You are correct on both point Nesta is currently at Halls. Trevor is being a great help.
    The wooden ships advert is a boat we looked at back when they wanted 5.5 for it, the first wooden boat we saw in our quest to find something. We were disappointed as it did not live up to the sales photos but in hindsight our cost /condition expectation was a bit out.

'Nesta' looks a typical launch/cabin boat type of her era. The wheel shelter is almost certainly a later addition and, as you say the skylight may be from another vessel.
    Here are a couple of pics of a 25ft boat I used to own. The first is 'as found' in 1982 - with added cabin top and wheel shelter and the other in the later years of my ownership. She was very much like a Kelvin launch but we did not know how old she was. Her pitch pine planking was all full-length, there was not a scarf in the boat!
    F089F03A-8049-4C51-A3B2-2384B46D16CC.JPG32DFB261-4C9B-4B0B-9EBB-7C0550903DC6.jpg

Thanks for the Kelvin Launch tip. googling kelvin launch brought up some interesting leads. Getting exciting now delivery is days away.....

Nice boat. Keep us posted, and good luck on this project.

WP_20170603_19_34_29_Pro.jpg
    so we got her through the BSS after four weeks of fiddling with a new properly welded fuel tank (original Sabb stainless steel tank was soft lead soldered.) new fuel lines of iso rubber in place of clear garden hose! breathers on the tank with fire traps swan neck to prevent spills, new fuse board battery wiring battery isolator battery box with ventilation cabin ventilation warning signs and fire extinguisher.
    We took off the gas cooker and gas bottle box.
    The bilge is not filling so quickly after a month on the water. thanks partly to a bilge pump with an impeller!
    Next jobs are some basic comfort items like a generator for the engine so it can charge its own batteries. The real work then begins on the wooden bits!

Quote Originally Posted by Redwing228 View Post
    Her pitch pine planking was all full-length, there was not a scarf in the boat!
    That's a proper build. I once looked over a Brooke Marine, 34ft and no butt ends.

Quote Originally Posted by bigshineybike View Post
    WP_20170603_19_34_29_Pro.jpg
    so we got her through the BSS after four weeks of fiddling with a new properly welded fuel tank (original Sabb stainless steel tank was soft lead soldered.) new fuel lines of iso rubber in place of clear garden hose! breathers on the tank with fire traps swan neck to prevent spills, new fuse board battery wiring battery isolator battery box with ventilation cabin ventilation warning signs and fire extinguisher.
    We took off the gas cooker and gas bottle box.
    The bilge is not filling so quickly after a month on the water. thanks partly to a bilge pump with an impeller!
    Next jobs are some basic comfort items like a generator for the engine so it can charge its own batteries. The real work then begins on the wooden bits!
    Sounds like you are off to a flying start.

Solar panel?

Hello

Nesta was in my Family for 3 generations. She started life as Directors boat for Edme Maltings ltd. She was requisitioned as a pilot boat at Harwich during WW2. She has been on the River Stour moored at wrabness and Manningtree, where she had a launching slip way akin to a RNLI ramped launch, the steel cradle still exists at the site. She had a new engine fitted by Freddy Smmethe at the boatyard in Dedham (now boathouse restaurant).

My brother re corked her some years ago and painted her yearly. The canopy was retrofitted by my grandafather. My brother replaced it some years ago.

She is a well known boat on the River Stour, very pleased to hear she is in good hands, happy to discuss more. plbc@live.co.uk.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast