Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Our new / old boat

Hello Guy
    Thanks so much for this. I think My wife amanda spoke to your Brother. we must get in touch again soon to fill in more details.
    The boat is currently out of the water being repainted. The latest canopy alas has not survived and is currently removed ready for replacement.
    The engine still runs well. The old blakes head is coming back together in polished brass. You all did a great job looking after her.
    You and any of your family are very very welcome to come have a trip on her sometime after April on the river at Sunbury where she is moored throughout the year.
    Alex

2018 Sail Pastsmaa.jpg
    An update, bit late. We've been using Nesta for over a year now. She came out of the water for the winter, we did quite a lot but there is still much to do.
    We are very privileged to be looking after this boat although her past is still a mystery beyond what we were told by Guy and his brother.
    Sorry we haven been in touch with any of the sailing clubs on the Stour but will get round to that one day. She is very well admired on the Thames with positive comments from many who see her.
    We added a memorable entry to her provenance this summer having been invited to be a tow boat with the Royal swan uppers.
    It just keeps getting better.

stich is offline Account Closed (By user's request)

That is an absolutely lovely boat! I like the lines of it a lot, and the round portholes of course. I knew joining a UK boating forum would bear good fruit. :-)

+1

South Oxfordshire, Gosport and Wellington New Zealand.

Quote Originally Posted by bigshineybike View Post
    Attachment 65139
    so we got her through the BSS after four weeks of fiddling with a new properly welded fuel tank (original Sabb stainless steel tank was soft lead soldered.) new fuel lines of iso rubber in place of clear garden hose! breathers on the tank with fire traps swan neck to prevent spills, new fuse board battery wiring battery isolator battery box with ventilation cabin ventilation warning signs and fire extinguisher.
    We took off the gas cooker and gas bottle box.
    The bilge is not filling so quickly after a month on the water. thanks partly to a bilge pump with an impeller!
    Next jobs are some basic comfort items like a generator for the engine so it can charge its own batteries. The real work then begins on the wooden bits!
    I think the S/S fuel tank might have been silver soldered. Phillip Vincent, who mad the HRD and Vincent motorcycles pioneered the use of soldered S/S, which he used for the tank sides in the pre war series A HRD's.
    IIRC. a special flux and solder were required, the solder being similar to silver solder.
    No wonder the BSS man did not like it!
    A great Project, good luck and enjoy.

Thanks everyone. current news is that I am desperate for a Sabb cylinder head for the 18hp 2H engine.
    Nesta is in the water and the weather has been great for boating but I have the engine in bits.
    I have found one for sale in Germany at £600 ill do that if I have to but would prefer to buy one in UK that I can see.
    I am attempting to repair the crack in my old one. I have been describing the fun here if you have face book;
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/916532258364171/

A quick update. Nesta has been fitted with a good second hand cylinder head and benefits from and engine out rebuild and paint. Lots more cleaning and painting. This feels like the first time I have been able to simply enjoy sailing her for quite some time.
    We are honoured to be invited for a second time to be a tow boat with the royal swan uppers. We're missing the first day but looking forward to the next week aboard Nesta on the Thames. I hope to stop off at the trad boat rally on the return trip. Do say hello if you see us.

Thanks for the update - good to hear you are enjoying her.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by bigshineybike View Post
    A quick update. Nesta has been fitted with a good second hand cylinder head and benefits from and engine out rebuild and paint. Lots more cleaning and painting. This feels like the first time I have been able to simply enjoy sailing her for quite some time.
    We are honoured to be invited for a second time to be a tow boat with the royal swan uppers. We're missing the first day but looking forward to the next week aboard Nesta on the Thames. I hope to stop off at the trad boat rally on the return trip. Do say hello if you see us.
    Thanks for the update and very glad you’ve got your boat in commission. We would love to see some pictures of her now she’s in service.

Bill

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast