Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: UK TV abroad

Default Re: UK TV abroad

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    I used https://robssatellitetv.com/ which was recommended on here last time I was on the boat and discovered that Filmon had started charging.

You need to register with your email address but there's no charge.

Richard
    Yes, I looked at that but it's not HD. TVMucho is.
    Mostly harmless....

What amount of data do these chew up if like me you're on a monthly 8 gig PAYG mifi system in Spain

Quote Originally Posted by ripvan1 View Post
    What amount of data do these chew up if like me you're on a monthly 8 gig PAYG mifi system in Spain
    a lot more than 8gb.

I think iPlayer is 600mb per hour, that gives you 13 hours of tv for 8gb
    sabre 27 - Sarabande - Chichester

Quote Originally Posted by ripvan1 View Post
    It's hard to say, we're now living ashore (in Greece) and on an ADSL unlimited connection. However, we were on a MiFi with a 30GB limit per month and SWMBO was keen to watch some (apparently important) events like the ladies singles final at Wimbledon (she's a big Serena Williams fan) so last summer we watched it via the Mifi. I don't remember how long the match lasted but I think it was no more than two hours and using FilmOn (which was free then) we used just about 1GB of our data allowance.

What I did before 'allowing' her to watch the tennis was the month before, on the day before our monthly period ended and I still had four or five GB of data allowance left, was to trial watching something on FilmOn to get a feel for how much data was used. If it had been excessive it wouldn't have mattered because our next month's 30GB would have kicked in the next day. As it turned out it wasn't too bad and we seemed to be using very roughly 500MB per hour on a low resolution (ie. non-HD) picture.

Data usage might well be different on other plans and even in other countries, it will also I think vary depending on how good your MiFi connection to the 3G or 4G network is.
    Mostly harmless....

Thanks Steve and Tony - I'll stick to watching Spanish TV then

I've been using transponder.tv for about a year now. £6 p.m. when in use and pretty good streaming most of the time. Also allows recording to watch later.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12