Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Locks on freeflow

Ever thought of going stern first?

Leaving Chichester on my Yachtmasters exam, the examiner switched off the engine as we were leaving.

We drudged back in. It was the first time he had seen it.
    I'd rather be naked
    www.mastaclimba.com

Try some of the Dutch locks with 30-40 boats crammed in. We were second last in today. Lock keeper decided there wasn't enough room for us, so asked us to reverse out, but the bridge behind was already closing so we had no choice but to nuzzle our way in. All done with typical Dutch good humour, but not easy - our Oyster 406 is reasonably well behaved but going backwards in confined spaces can be challenging!

Years ago I tried to leave Grimsby with a lock on free flow and my tiny MD1 could not manage against the current. Very embarrassing.
    At Hartlepool they are very sensible and do not allow navigation when free flow is flowing fast
    Do everyone a favour - Smile !

As someone who has been stuck on the wrong side of South Ferriby lock on the R Ancholme for over 2 months,I wish we could have free flow.I could write a book about the inefficiencies of the Environment Agency maintaining this lock

Quote Originally Posted by C08 View Post
    On the face of it .....but if it is in your direction with perhaps 3/4 knots of flow you have to be traveling faster than is really comfortable to retain proper steerage through a perhaps fairly narrow lock.
    And to add to the fun, coming out of Kilrush there is a 90 degree change of course. (Photo: Canadian reg yacht about to turn to port!)
    Cheers
    Bob

Attachment 64464
    Trying not to extrapolate from zero

I've been through Chichester and Port Solent Locks quite a few times, and P.S. is a pussycat in comparison - which is why I sometimes comment that on visiting the excellent CB Marine stainless fabricators at Chichester, I was amused to see a large pile of mangled mobo pulpits !

Patience is indeed a virtue, and I wouldn't want to be jostling among the power-crazed gin palaces at either marina for ' first one out's a hero '.

I worked on a hotel barge in Burgundy where we did 13 locks a day, later on the trip there was one a good 60' deep where we had to put deadlights over the windows, but Chichester is the most violent lock I've encountered in terms of flow pushing boats around.

Don't get me wrong, it's no Portland Bill and novice crew shouldn't be put off, but they ought to be thoroughly briefed beforehand, given boathooks and sat down.

It pays at these places to have at least two boathooks.
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

Ah Freeflow (at Chichester anyway) first of all the time to avoid is not the very beginning but rather around 20 mins after. The tidal curve for the upper reaches of Chichester harbour is anything but a smooth curve at times it looks more like a ziggurat - (I've a theory about it but i won't bore you now) the steps in the ziggurat will also vary according to wind direction and strength). Generally speaking nowadays the lock will give a direction and estimate of speed of flow. Most of the crunches are caused because the stream does not flow in a straight line but slightly across (especially on the flood). and will carry you to the north side. people panic and the swings get bigger. So then the keys are plenty of power and lots of small corrections. If you have a larger or broad beamed boat you may also want to consider a rolling lock all you need do is ask (and you shall receive).
    Last edited by chi lockie; 26-06-19 at 03:34.

I am not familiar with the term "rolling lock" Having a catamaran this will clearly help!

Quote Originally Posted by Seajet View Post
    I've been through Chichester and Port Solent Locks quite a few times, and P.S. is a pussycat in comparison
    Patience is indeed a virtue, and I wouldn't want to be jostling among the power-crazed gin palaces at either marina for ' first one out's a hero '.
    Chichester is the most violent lock I've encountered in terms of flow pushing boats around.
    It pays at these places to have at least two boathooks.
    All very true but locking into Arzal for the first time with a regatta of 200 French boats (who make the gin palaces look very tardy), the ‘Mediterranean Effect’ of salt water meeting fresh water and the lock keeper shouting in his loudest French was character building...
    And I have done Chi and PS quite a few times to compare

Dum vivimus vivamus

It's not a lock, but the gate at St Valery en Caux leads into a narrow section which is similar. If you are in a hurry to leave when it opens when you join a mass of French sport fisherman trying to do the same thing and if you are naive you will find out that when you get to the gate you have to go uphill against the incoming waters.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast