Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Wallasea island and the RSPB

Read my post again. I mentioned the Crouch and wider areas. Not the south coast, Antarctica or New Zealand for that matter. Please don't put words in my mouth, we are not politicians are we? :-)

There is no doubt that reasonably large areas of intertidal salt marsh absorb tidal and storm surge energy

Whether Wallasey Island, if it's ever finished, will have a positive impact or not I've no idea though

We are faced with a stark choice over the next century - we either construct sea defences on a vast scale that will dwarf even the Netherlands extensive works or we abandon significant areas of the East Coast to erosion and rising sea levels

The costs of maintaining the current coastline would probably beggar the country for generations

Quote Originally Posted by Bru View Post

Whether Wallasey Island, if it's ever finished, will have a positive impact or not I've no idea though
    Well that was part of the original proposal, but, as you say, a lot more reclaimed agricultural land will need to be restored to wetland to really have a widespread impact. What concerns me more is that PP for new housing development still seems to take no account of flood risk. The new estate in Maldon, about half of Maylandsea etc etc are only just above mean sea level. Just the post 1953 poorly maintained sea walls between them and the briney. Madness. At least the Wallasea project is a step in the right direction, albeit a little one.

By the way, did your mate sell that lovely Heard28? I deffo fell in love with it. Sadly the missus didn't :-(
    Last edited by NUTMEG; 30-05-17 at 13:26.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk View Post
    Wallasea was the only grade one land in Essex. It has been turned into a theme park where birds are (should be) the main attraction but there was never enough material coming from crossrail to bring up the level of the entire site. Now it iremains half built. The promissed day trippers using the railway have neve arrived. But never mind, the project managers got paid and can still raise money for the next project.

It used to feed people.
    Not according to ECC, unless I have missed something (very possible).
    image.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Bru View Post
    There is no doubt that reasonably large areas of intertidal salt marsh absorb tidal and storm surge energy

We are faced with a stark choice over the next century - we either construct sea defences on a vast scale that will dwarf even the Netherlands extensive works or we abandon significant areas of the East Coast to erosion and rising sea levels

The costs of maintaining the current coastline would probably beggar the country for generations
    Am I the only one to think that the Netherland 'extensive works' that deleted a vast area that once would have "absorb tidal and storm surge energy" has significantly raised the risk of flooding of the UK south-east? A tidal surge that once would be shared evenly twix the UK and Holland HAS to come here; it cannot force down the Channel past Dover.

Oh, on a comment that I think I have said before: one day I boarded my mooring at the end of Salcott Creek and I thought it a lovely day for a cup of tea and cake. I sat in the gentle sun listening to Curlews and the the Ospreys and watching some Sanderlings and some Godwits. In my dotage, thinking through how much pleasure was sometimes there was just to sit on board when.... All the bird song had stopped. I looked around and all the bird life had gone. I looked around at the Bird Sanctuary on Old Hall marshes and there were two bird watchers not really looking at much. Eventually they went away and then shortly a Curlew called by and normal life was restored. I promise I have not embellished that.
    www.crossingthethamesestuary.com

Before panicking too much - I would recommend that you review the Graphical information on Frank Singleton's Website under Climate change..... http://weather.mailasail.com/Franks-...-Fiction#intro
    "Keep true to the dreams of your youth."
    Friedrich Schiller (1759 - 1805)

Quote Originally Posted by tillergirl View Post
    Am I the only one to think that the Netherland 'extensive works' that deleted a vast area that once would have "absorb tidal and storm surge energy" has significantly raised the risk of flooding of the UK south-east? A tidal surge that once would be shared evenly twix the UK and Holland HAS to come here; it cannot force down the Channel past Dover.

Oh, on a comment that I think I have said before: one day I boarded my mooring at the end of Salcott Creek and I thought it a lovely day for a cup of tea and cake. I sat in the gentle sun listening to Curlews and the the Ospreys and watching some Sanderlings and some Godwits. In my dotage, thinking through how much pleasure was sometimes there was just to sit on board when.... All the bird song had stopped. I looked around and all the bird life had gone. I looked around at the Bird Sanctuary on Old Hall marshes and there were two bird watchers not really looking at much. Eventually they went away and then shortly a Curlew called by and normal life was restored. I promise I have not embellished that.
    That is a very interesting observation, something I had never thought about. More research needed, anyone fancy funding me to have a couple of years off work so I can investigate this issue :-)

As for your observation re. birders, my missus and I have noticed the same thing. Once on the marshes at Southwold we were happily watching waders going about their business when a coach load of birders turned up, chatting and laughing. Every bird flew off before the birders even got the telescopes out. We went to the pub :-). Bill Oddie said once that the best way of birding was to sit down somewhere and stay there, never go walking about looking for birds. The birds will come to you. He had a point.

Once upon a time I got a database of all the properties in Maldon district that were at risk of tidal flooding. Obviously it covered all of Heybridge, the Basin, Maylandsea and parts of Goldhanger, Maldon, St Lawrence, Mayland. I can't remember the exact number but it was about a quarter of the homes in the district. And of course all the industrial areas in Haybridge not to mention the most important food distribution facility in the district (Tesco).

If all that became unusable on account of tidal flooding, it would be necessary to relocate the whole shebang somewhere up the hill complete with all the supporting roads, sewage, electricity etc. In short no easy task.

So what to do? wait until rising water is lapping round the shelves in Tesco or defend the most densely populated part of the District? I would advocate defending the area by building a barrier across the Blackwater and letting the flood cells downstream revert to proper tidal marsh. Sadly the material that could have protectd thousands of people was used to part build the theme park at Wallasea.
    Life is too short to drink bad wine.

The Dutch would have built a dam across the Blackwater years ago. It's an idea that is not without its attractions

I'd be dead against a dam across the entrance to the Crouch though cos if our berth was all tide access they'd put the price up

I also have wanted a barrage across from Mersea to Bradwell. The new Ting Tong nuclear station would have the water it needs this and has the additional benefit of providing year round warm bathing water for BANNG bathers and others. The fish would develop to ginormous sizes so expensive fishing tickets could be sold by Maldon council keeping us local's rates down, in the enclosed lagoon we would have water all the time for sailing, a tidal generator could be installed in the barrage to be powered by inflow/outflow.

The Chinese could pay for it as part of the power station approval process.

What's not to like?...................................... I commend it to the house/forum .................... and hunker down in my bunker awaiting the responding salvo's.

Unc

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast