Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    7,402

    Default In the history of bonkers ideas....

    This one might just take the biscuit.

    Pip Hare and Charles Hill are about to compete in the 3 peaks race double-handed. So they will both do all of the running and all of the sailing. Absolutely bonkers, but if anyone can pull this off Pip can!

    http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/new...Handed-attempt
    You never know, I might be right!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Behind your curtains.
    Posts
    8,232

    Default Re: In the history of bonkers ideas....

    Rather them than me...

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    17,194

    Default Re: In the history of bonkers ideas....

    It's a very tough yachting even on its own. Lots of very difficult bits of sea.
    If I'd wanted to live in a Banana Republic I'd have gone to South America.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Downton, Wiltshire
    Posts
    229

    Default Re: In the history of bonkers ideas....

    That's truly bonkers in an already bonkers race. My daughter and erstwhile bow girl on JT won the Tillman Trophy last year with Southampton Uni OTC team and that seemed tough enough. I don't see how they are going to get enough sleep to keep up the pace for the whole distance. I shall watch with interest and shall be deeply impressed if they get a good result!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    6,867

    Default Re: In the history of bonkers ideas....

    Good for her - hope she does well.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    7,402

    Default Re: In the history of bonkers ideas....

    Well they lead into the first stop, and up and down Snowdon. Then sadly got stuck in a wind hole after the Swellies and have slipped back a bit. Though ironically of course a longer sail probably improves their running!
    You never know, I might be right!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,626

    Default Re: In the history of bonkers ideas....

    I can't see them keeping it up. We took along a couple of very seasoned endurance runners and even they slept (or hung on for dear life) most of the time on the boat. The only time they were actively helping with the sailing was from the northern Sd of Jura onwards.

    We also took the decision to keep the three sailors on deck the whole race, which gave a significant advantage over the boats that just had watches of two. And that was exhausting enough without venturing up any mountains.

    They'll be seeing mermaids and the Loch Ness monster sunbeathing on the beach by the time they finish.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    7,402

    Default Re: In the history of bonkers ideas....

    Quote Originally Posted by lpdsn View Post
    I can't see them keeping it up. We took along a couple of very seasoned endurance runners and even they slept (or hung on for dear life) most of the time on the boat. The only time they were actively helping with the sailing was from the northern Sd of Jura onwards.

    We also took the decision to keep the three sailors on deck the whole race, which gave a significant advantage over the boats that just had watches of two. And that was exhausting enough without venturing up any mountains.

    They'll be seeing mermaids and the Loch Ness monster sunbeathing on the beach by the time they finish.
    Yep, Pip has described this as the biggest challenge she's ever done. Her CV includes amongst other things 2 mini transats. Just finishing will be an incredible achievement.
    You never know, I might be right!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,626

    Default Re: In the history of bonkers ideas....

    Quote Originally Posted by flaming View Post
    Her CV includes amongst other things 2 mini transats. Just finishing will be an incredible achievement.
    The difference is that the 3PYR includes a lot more coastal navigation & pilotage. As you say, it will still be an incredible achievement for them even to finish. What they're attempting is much more than even a Tillman Trophy winner has to go through.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    7,402

    Default Re: In the history of bonkers ideas....

    Quote Originally Posted by lpdsn View Post
    The difference is that the 3PYR includes a lot more coastal navigation & pilotage. As you say, it will still be an incredible achievement for them even to finish. What they're attempting is much more than even a Tillman Trophy winner has to go through.
    2 down, one to go... Currently lying 4th on the water. They haven't been the slowest in either run.
    You never know, I might be right!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Find Boats For Sale

to
to