Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default In the history of bonkers ideas....

This one might just take the biscuit.

Pip Hare and Charles Hill are about to compete in the 3 peaks race double-handed. So they will both do all of the running and all of the sailing. Absolutely bonkers, but if anyone can pull this off Pip can!

http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/new...Handed-attempt
    You never know, I might be right!

Default Re: In the history of bonkers ideas....

Rather them than me...

It's a very tough yachting even on its own. Lots of very difficult bits of sea.
    If I'd wanted to live in a Banana Republic I'd have gone to South America.

That's truly bonkers in an already bonkers race. My daughter and erstwhile bow girl on JT won the Tillman Trophy last year with Southampton Uni OTC team and that seemed tough enough. I don't see how they are going to get enough sleep to keep up the pace for the whole distance. I shall watch with interest and shall be deeply impressed if they get a good result!

Good for her - hope she does well.

Well they lead into the first stop, and up and down Snowdon. Then sadly got stuck in a wind hole after the Swellies and have slipped back a bit. Though ironically of course a longer sail probably improves their running!

I can't see them keeping it up. We took along a couple of very seasoned endurance runners and even they slept (or hung on for dear life) most of the time on the boat. The only time they were actively helping with the sailing was from the northern Sd of Jura onwards.

We also took the decision to keep the three sailors on deck the whole race, which gave a significant advantage over the boats that just had watches of two. And that was exhausting enough without venturing up any mountains.

They'll be seeing mermaids and the Loch Ness monster sunbeathing on the beach by the time they finish.

Quote Originally Posted by lpdsn View Post
    I can't see them keeping it up. We took along a couple of very seasoned endurance runners and even they slept (or hung on for dear life) most of the time on the boat. The only time they were actively helping with the sailing was from the northern Sd of Jura onwards.

We also took the decision to keep the three sailors on deck the whole race, which gave a significant advantage over the boats that just had watches of two. And that was exhausting enough without venturing up any mountains.

They'll be seeing mermaids and the Loch Ness monster sunbeathing on the beach by the time they finish.
    Yep, Pip has described this as the biggest challenge she's ever done. Her CV includes amongst other things 2 mini transats. Just finishing will be an incredible achievement.

Quote Originally Posted by flaming View Post
    Her CV includes amongst other things 2 mini transats. Just finishing will be an incredible achievement.
    The difference is that the 3PYR includes a lot more coastal navigation & pilotage. As you say, it will still be an incredible achievement for them even to finish. What they're attempting is much more than even a Tillman Trophy winner has to go through.

Quote Originally Posted by lpdsn View Post
    The difference is that the 3PYR includes a lot more coastal navigation & pilotage. As you say, it will still be an incredible achievement for them even to finish. What they're attempting is much more than even a Tillman Trophy winner has to go through.
    2 down, one to go... Currently lying 4th on the water. They haven't been the slowest in either run.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast