Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789
    Boat at West Mersea, Essex. Live in Wivenhoe, Essex

Default Re: Somewhere to eat.

Quote Originally Posted by MoodySabre View Post
    Excellent meal Bistro on the Quay, Ipswich on Monday.

A couple of beers, 3 courses each, 2 glasses of vino - 67. Not cheap but not expensive for lovely food in a nice place.
    You should have gone Tuesday, it's Fixed Price night - 3 courses for 15!

Quote Originally Posted by TimfromMersea View Post
    You should have gone Tuesday, it's Fixed Price night - 3 courses for 15!
    That was on offer but we preferred the other menu.
    Not all who wander are lost

Quote Originally Posted by Gladys View Post
    Our experience of food in the Last Anchor has been v. good, BUT... the issue has been that they have a lot of private functions there and it's seldom open to casuals...
    We had a meal in the Last Anchor last Friday (28th July). It has recently been taken over and they have a new chef. It has vastly improved and we would defo return!
    However, as previously mentioned, they do like big groups! We asked to sit outside as there was a v large table of young girls (my ears could not take the "cackling" emanating from their table!!!). But the food and service was good.
    Yacht: French Connection / Jeanneau 37

One of the BEST meals out we have had in a very very long time was at the Turkish restaurant in Ipswich. Its located 100 yards down from Loch Fien (sort of behind the Neptune Marina office).
    Its called Mahzen.... but I strongly recommend that you phone ahead and book a table!

Link to their website: http://www.mahzenrestaurant.co.uk/

Regards

Ian and Sarah
    Yacht: French Connection / Jeanneau 37

From the Needles to the Nab, from Cowes to St Catherine's

Quote Originally Posted by Ianqv View Post
    We asked to sit outside as there was a v large table of young girls (my ears could not take the "cackling" emanating from their table!!!). But the food and service was good.
    Last week we abandoned our plans to eat at a pub as similar group were making way too much noise, we were not alone in doing so!

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBlue49 View Post
    No mention of the Last Anchor in Ipswich Haven, is it still open ?
    Fantastic food every time I have been there, but it mostly requires booking in advance. On the occaisions I have managed to just to drop in, I have been eating alone. Sad OB that I am!

Quote Originally Posted by pyrojames View Post
    Fantastic food every time I have been there, but it mostly requires booking in advance. On the occaisions I have managed to just to drop in, I have been eating alone. Sad OB that I am!
    Its a sad reflection of our society that eating alone is looked at in this way.
    Certainly stops me eating in a few places.
    When I was single in London the Italians and Chinese were always the most welcoming to the single eater.
    It seems that if you are not with a woman/partner/group you are regarded as a sad OB or a wierdo.
    I sail alone, travel alone but wont dine alone in UK, its a social stigma.

I sail alone occasionally, travel for work alone quite a lot, so I dine alone whenever I need. I don't give two flying figs what people think. Actually waitresses always seem very nice!

Quote Originally Posted by pyrojames View Post
    I sail alone occasionally, travel for work alone quite a lot, so I dine alone whenever I need. I don't give two flying figs what people think. Actually waitresses always seem very nice!
    Yes, that's been my experience. I've often been alone at conferences etc, so dining alone has been quite the norm, unless I happen to have arranged to meet a colleague.

As you say, waitresses will often be very solicituous about seeing that a lone male is well looked after! And I DON'T mean anything improper

At the end of our summer cruise, and a few culinary experiences to relate...

1. Woodbridge, Golden Panda Chinese restaurant, excellent Sunday lunchtime buffet, 8 a head, and first rate food.
    2. Chatham. Villagio, Italian, Rustic Pizzas are superb, and the place is on Tastecard - 2-4-1 and is thoroughly recommended.
    3. Also Chatham, Burger Priest. Excellent Aberdeen Angus burger, but the piece de resistance was the chips. None of this twice cooked malarkey, just good fresh potatoes, cooked well.

The "not so good's" - both at Chatham - Zippers, badly understaffed and poor service, but the manager did recognise we were kept waiting a long time, and desserts came for free; My Old China, Chinese Buffet, many dishes cold, and had gone soggy. We were there early on a Friday evening (1830), been better on previous visits.
    Larry Botheras

Colvic Victor 35 "Gladys"

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789