Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Default Re: Dinghy for single handed river or estuary sailing

Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post
    Nutshell (boring as hell and the lug rig is useless to windward)
    Malcolm Goodwin did a bigger version of the Nutshell called a Water Rat. There is a beautiful example for sale on Gumtree (https://www.gumtree.com/p/boats-kaya...oat/1244075986). If I hadn't just bought a Tammie Norrie then I think I would have found it very hard not to buy that. The rig looks identical to a Nutshell so it probably won't go to windward a great deal better.

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBz View Post
    Malcolm Goodwin did a bigger version of the Nutshell called a Water Rat. There is a beautiful example for sale on Gumtree (https://www.gumtree.com/p/boats-kaya...oat/1244075986). If I hadn't just bought a Tammie Norrie then I think I would have found it very hard not to buy that. The rig looks identical to a Nutshell so it probably won't go to windward a great deal better.
    Now THAT I think might be the perfect solution, IF re-rigged with a gunter lug mainsail in place of the standing lug, which is only good for playing Swallows and Amazons.

Actually I like that boat so much I might be tempted myself...

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    Because it's a heavy thing and it wastes a lot of its length with a strange stern and a pretty but inefficient rig.
    What "strange stern"?

Now THAT I think might be the perfect solution, IF re-rigged with a gunter lug mainsail in place of the standing lug, which is only good for playing Swallows and Amazons.

Some on here have suggested a scow, which has a standing lug much like a dabber.
    Use of a downhaul at the tack can make useful efficiency benefits, so don't condemn it.

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

In defence of the Nutshell it's a brilliant, brilliant, yacht tender - the best ever. That's what its designed to do and it does it, wonderfully well. It's just a big boring as a singlehander.

Oh and I've had a tack downhaul on mine since I built it 25years ago.
    Last edited by Minn; Yesterday at 17:30.

Quote Originally Posted by alant View Post
    What "strange stern"?
    Have a look at one sometime.

It's not really a stern at all. The boat just ... stops. Additionally, on the bigger Drascombes there is plenty of room inside for the outboard, but on the Dabber it just wastes space. Basically it's a Playmobil Pirate Ship made in GRP. I like Drascombes very much, but the Dabber is just too small to pull off the look. Lose the mizzen give it a proper stern and it would be a lot better.

I completely agree with your points about stability and solidity for the OP's requirements, but he'll get those in an old Wayfarer which will cost less, sail better and give more room.
    Last edited by JumbleDuck; Yesterday at 17:16.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Oh go on... bring it back to East Anglia. This might help: http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread...highlight=Mast if it's big enough.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456