Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2789101112

Default Re: Think I upset a yachtie is this a crime??

One thing often missing from these threads is the fact that motorboats suffer from the effects of wash too. Many sailors seem to think motorboater a have no idea about the effects of their wash, but that simply isnt true. We also moor on riverbanks, or banksides moorings, we also anchor in quiet bays, we also sometimes just potter for the enjoyment of being on the water. The majority of motorboats have experienced the effects of inconsiderate wash exactly the same as sailors. I have been passed at speed by big motorboats that were far too close, I have been slammed against the pontoon by people doing 20 knots in a 6 knot speed limit (genuinely 20 knots), but we have to accept we have no way to reach these individuals, who are actually small in number, to teach them the error of their ways, so the best you can do is plan for it and prepare your boat to minimise the effects. Then just get on with enjoying your time on the water without letting it fester and spoil your day.
    I am only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand

Plymouth, Devon, UK, Europe, Earth, Milky Way, Universe (don't ask which one because I don't kno

Quote Originally Posted by jon and michie View Post
    ... But I have to admit I didn't expect it to get so serious.
    The problem is that for many it is a very emotive topic especially if you have been injured as a direct result of inconsiderate wake making as I have.

It is great though, IMO, that the topic is discussed as it does highlight just how important it is not to create a significant wake when near moored/tied-up boats and it also highlights just how easy it is to do... and just how difficult it is to judge the size of your own wake from the boat creating it. The only tell-tail way is to look at the boats you might be affecting behind and if they are rocking about a lot and if so then just slow down. Imagine someone inside... not seeing your wake... holding a full cup of tea... would that tea have gone flying? Then you are too fast!
    Beneteau Antares 7, Suzuki 150hp, Raymarine Axiom 9

Snax muppet - I think it has turned into a good learning curve all round obviously myself included.
    At the end of the day as Bru has stated everyone on the water is there to enjoy their passion be it jet ski yatching motor boating etc etc.
    Just need to show more consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by Nograss View Post
    I also thought I might be the "miserable git" you referred to but assuming you're referring to the same person the original poster is referring to it can't be me as I never had that conversation with anyone (see op), my boat isn't moored in the position referred to, I wasn't onboard on the Tuesday in question and last year we sailed way over 1,000 nm and did ~ 80 nm pottering/exploring in the rib. It will be a lot less this year for personal reasons that we all sometimes have for doing or not doing things at times. I apologise if that does not meet with your approval. In my defence I will disclose that in a year or two we'll be making up for it...

However, of concern is that I drink tea and don't have a permanent smile stuck to my boat (see what I did there?) My mooring was allocated to me by the marina (no choice - as I suspect is the case for most) and as far as my intelligence goes I would like to clarify and put on record that it's well above average (I have certificates to prove it but modesty forbids...) I therefore hope my presence on the moorings meets with your approval.

Given the description of the moored vessel's location I'm fairly sure I know the person involved. Having spoke to him on several occasions he seems OK to me and I can confirm that he smiles and I've even seen him laugh. Maybe it depends on what you do and say?

Mention of being up a mast reminds me - my other half was up the mast last year on our mooring (she volunteers...) and I had cause to shout at a motorboat skipper to slow down and pointed out his wash and my other half up the mast. His response was to shout back "F*** OFF!" and he carried on past us at the same speed. My other half was clinging on to the mast at this point. You can imagine how f***ing angry I was and if he'd have been standing next to me I might, no, definitely would not have been responsible for my actions. Let's move on...

I have to say that most boat skippers are considerate of their wash, but there is what I would describe as a sizeable minority that aren't. All of us have a common interest - being afloat in whatever kind of boat floats our, er, boat. Can't we all just learn to be a little bit more considerate?
    OMG

For your info I have always made sure my boat is driven with the greatest respect for others, to the extent of stopping dead & waiting patiently for someone to pick up a buoy (we have skyhook so its interesting to see if it actually works)
    On the occasion that we were shouted at by the "miserable git" my eldest son was driving, & was on his very best behavior as his girlfriends parents were both on board for the 1st time.
    They both are intelligent people, doctors as it happens, & the wife actually said the guy was both ignorant & rude, unprompted by my son or I. They also both agreed that Sam had done absolutely nothing wrong.
    As far as position of mooring, I have been resident at several marinas, & pay to be inside as my wife also likes tea, however if I have been allocated an unsuitable berth for whatever reason, I have had the wit to ask to be moved, never been a problem. Takes all types I guess!

Quote Originally Posted by Nograss View Post
    I also thought I might be the "miserable git" you referred to but assuming you're referring to the same person the original poster is referring to it can't be me as I never had that conversation with anyone (see op), my boat isn't moored in the position referred to, I wasn't onboard on the Tuesday in question and last year we sailed way over 1,000 nm and did ~ 80 nm pottering/exploring in the rib. It will be a lot less this year for personal reasons that we all sometimes have for doing or not doing things at times. I apologise if that does not meet with your approval. In my defence I will disclose that in a year or two we'll be making up for it...

However, of concern is that I drink tea and don't have a permanent smile stuck to my boat (see what I did there?) My mooring was allocated to me by the marina (no choice - as I suspect is the case for most) and as far as my intelligence goes I would like to clarify and put on record that it's well above average (I have certificates to prove it but modesty forbids...) I therefore hope my presence on the moorings meets with your approval.

Given the description of the moored vessel's location I'm fairly sure I know the person involved. Having spoke to him on several occasions he seems OK to me and I can confirm that he smiles and I've even seen him laugh. Maybe it depends on what you do and say?

Mention of being up a mast reminds me - my other half was up the mast last year on our mooring (she volunteers...) and I had cause to shout at a motorboat skipper to slow down and pointed out his wash and my other half up the mast. His response was to shout back "F*** OFF!" and he carried on past us at the same speed. My other half was clinging on to the mast at this point. You can imagine how f***ing angry I was and if he'd have been standing next to me I might, no, definitely would not have been responsible for my actions. Let's move on...

I have to say that most boat skippers are considerate of their wash, but there is what I would describe as a sizeable minority that aren't. All of us have a common interest - being afloat in whatever kind of boat floats our, er, boat. Can't we all just learn to be a little bit more considerate?
    What have you been drinking
    Only ever look down on a person when you are bending over to help them up

Quote Originally Posted by rubberduck View Post
    OMG
    As far as position of mooring, I have been resident at several marinas, & pay to be inside as my wife also likes tea, however if I have been allocated an unsuitable berth for whatever reason, I have had the wit to ask to be moved, never been a problem. Takes all types I guess!
    Then we are no different. But boat size, type, keel configuration, mooring availability, etc are all factors to be considered and most providers of swinging moorings will try to group similar vessels together for obvious reasons. For those reasons I do not think we have been allocated an unsuitable berth. I would guess the vast majority of other swinging mooring holders might say the same. In marinas we have asked for and been given an alternative berth when we thought it necessary, but at busy periods we know this might not always be possible.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2789101112