Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 116
  1. #41
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Sant Carles de la Ràpita
    Posts
    6,127

    Default Re: Think I upset a yachtie is this a crime??

    Quote Originally Posted by jac View Post
    Hang on though - if your boat can't be safely handled at less than 5 knots then either the boat is really badly designed or you need to take some tuition. The thought of someone having to weave around the fairway in a marina at 5 knots in order to be able to steer is frightening.
    Yes, I do appreciate your point BUT.....
    Have you ever driven a big mobo?
    We don't have the same control that yachties have.
    We are not blessed with a big keel underneath to stop any drift.
    Essentially, our mobos have flat bottoms so slip very easily sideways.
    At low speeds we even used this in a controlled way to manoeuvre the boat.
    Speed helps - the rudders can then be used but speed causes danger so we resort to slipping sideways through the water.
    Handling a yacht with a keel is completely different - much more intuitive - far less side slipping (in most cases none) so you end up driving into and out of a berth
    I don't know if I'm speaking for others but thats the way I see it.
    Believe me, I come from the sailing world - you need to try and steer a mobo before making statements like that.

    Sorry, I'm not picking on you.
    But, if you get the chance, you should have a go and you will then have a completely different respect for mobos - IMO

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,554

    Default Re: Think I upset a yachtie is this a crime??

    Quote Originally Posted by prv View Post
    As a lifelong raggie I'm sorry to say this isn't entirely true - a minority of my colleagues (usually older ones, it seems) have an irrational dislike of motorboats and will complain about their speed (whether to the mobo skipper directly or just to others around themselves) just on general principles regardless of whether any harm is actually being done. Sad but true.

    Pete
    That is very true. I have been shouted at by rowers (more than once) for going too fast/creating too much wash when I have actually been stopped dead in the water!
    If found in the Brexit forum, please return to the real world.

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    midlands
    Posts
    6,612

    Default Re: Think I upset a yachtie is this a crime??

    Quote Originally Posted by jac View Post
    Hang on though - if your boat can't be safely handled at less than 5 knots then either the boat is really badly designed or you need to take some tuition. The thought of someone having to weave around the fairway in a marina at 5 knots in order to be able to steer is frightening.
    Most twin engined motor boats cannot go any slower than 5 knots on both engines , on one engine at that speed the boat will steer badly unless an amount of rudder is applied.

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    midlands
    Posts
    6,612

    Default Re: Think I upset a yachtie is this a crime??

    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    Yes, I do appreciate your point BUT.....
    Have you ever driven a big mobo?
    We don't have the same control that yachties have.
    We are not blessed with a big keel underneath to stop any drift.
    Essentially, our mobos have flat bottoms so slip very easily sideways.
    At low speeds we even used this in a controlled way to manoeuvre the boat.
    Speed helps - the rudders can then be used but speed causes danger so we resort to slipping sideways through the water.
    Handling a yacht with a keel is completely different - much more intuitive - far less side slipping (in most cases none) so you end up driving into and out of a berth
    I don't know if I'm speaking for others but thats the way I see it.
    Believe me, I come from the sailing world - you need to try and steer a mobo before making statements like that.

    Sorry, I'm not picking on you.
    But, if you get the chance, you should have a go and you will then have a completely different respect for mobos - IMO
    Well put .

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    336

    Default Re: Think I upset a yachtie is this a crime??

    Quote Originally Posted by volvopaul View Post
    Most twin engined motor boats cannot go any slower than 5 knots on both engines , on one engine at that speed the boat will steer badly unless an amount of rudder is applied.
    Thanks Paul - this may help others get a better understanding.
    I have a single duo prop and at low speed against the elements can be tricky in close quarters manoeuvring.

    This is an interesting thread with good comments from both perspectives.

    I was expecting just a couple of replies like don't worry all raggies/yatchies moan.

    Jon

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Conwy
    Posts
    1,826

    Default Re: Think I upset a yachtie is this a crime??

    I'm on a pontoon in the river. A wake can be very unpleasant slamming the hull against the pontoon and causing the mooring ropes to snatch. What frustrates me is the marina mobo's are the worst offenders but chat to them and ask them what they'd think about someone raising a 2 foot wake in the marina and they get mad and yet the penny still doesn't drop. I've come to the conclusion that the vast majority of mobo owners are actually selfish self absorbed cretins and have some sympathy towards a few sail boat gripes. But they are by no means absolved of having an over abundance of sanctimonious blowhards either.

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Greenwich
    Posts
    5,319

    Default Re: Think I upset a yachtie is this a crime??

    Quote Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
    I'm on a pontoon in the river. A wake can be very unpleasant slamming the hull against the pontoon and causing the mooring ropes to snatch. What frustrates me is the marina mobo's are the worst offenders but chat to them and ask them what they'd think about someone raising a 2 foot wake in the marina and they get mad and yet the penny still doesn't drop. I've come to the conclusion that the vast majority of mobo owners are actually selfish self absorbed cretins and have some sympathy towards a few sail boat gripes. But they are by no means absolved of having an over abundance of sanctimonious blowhards either.
    I think that is a bit harsh but am appalled by the OPs idea that as long as he's within the speed limit it's fine. I imagine he drives at 19.9 mph past schools and weaves between parents crossing the road as he has chosen to buy a car that won't steer at anything less, except when parking of course when steering magically works.

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    140

    Default Re: Think I upset a yachtie is this a crime??

    Have had similar issues to what you guys/gals are reporting in our mobo before we moved out of Bristol Harbour...

    These things can come tearing past your bow as you're trying to disembark from your berth...



    ... and whilst you can keep an eye out for them... there can be 20 scooting around from all directions, including corners that you you simply can't see around... then they'll shoot past your bow at wayyy above 15knots, barely a few feet in front as you're pulling out... and I suspect with their sails in some positions, that they can't even see to one side.

    I never did figure out how to avoid them (never collided)... it was more a case of crossed fingers, and do what we can, at the slowest speed we can go without risking massive drift (as a poster above commented, in wind, a mobo can easily be pushed sideways if not moving forwards at a fast-walking pace). I think the big risk to us was them potentially ploughing blind into our side. I think in retrospect, maybe a long honk followed by tapping the horn constantly whilst pulling out would be the way to go. Though I doubt with the wind in their face/hair/ears it would even be heard. Maybe we shoulda deployed the fog-horn!

    Thankfully, we've now moved to a harbour where there doesn't appear to be any small/fast sailboats like those .

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    midlands
    Posts
    6,612

    Default Re: Think I upset a yachtie is this a crime??

    Quote Originally Posted by jon and michie View Post
    Thanks Paul - this may help others get a better understanding.
    I have a single duo prop and at low speed against the elements can be tricky in close quarters manoeuvring.

    This is an interesting thread with good comments from both perspectives.

    I was expecting just a couple of replies like don't worry all raggies/yatchies moan.

    Jon
    Ah so your single duo prop , even more difficult to handle without speed through the water as you don't have a rudder .
    Perhaps others on here will understand your situation with a little more compassion and less opinion.

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,554

    Default Re: Think I upset a yachtie is this a crime??

    Quote Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
    I've come to the conclusion that the vast majority of mobo owners are actually selfish self absorbed cretins and have some sympathy towards a few sail boat gripes
    That's what you think of me, and most of the people that post on the forum? Just wow.
    If found in the Brexit forum, please return to the real world.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Find Boats For Sale

to
to