Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Default Re: Think I upset a yachtie is this a crime??

Quote Originally Posted by volvopaul View Post
    10 knots in Portsmouth harbour, try working at Gosport or Haslar when the Ferries are coming in and out, I've had a table on top of me once due to the excessive wash when working inside a boat, never hear anyone complaining though.
    The main culprits for wash in Haslar are the pilot boats doing "handbrake" turns onto their berths at Blockhouse. The Isle of Wight ferrys aren't a major problem and the major issue with the cross channel ferries and container ships is the pressure wave they set up through the moorings.
    Don't try to berth when one is inbound between the harbour entrance and Ballast Pile. Or when outbound until they are passed 4 Bar.

j

Quote Originally Posted by CLB View Post
    That's what you think of me, and most of the people that post on the forum? Just wow.
    I suspect that Bruce accidentally left a 'not' out of his sentence, at least I choose to believe that

Quote Originally Posted by Bouba View Post
    I suspect that Bruce accidentally left a 'not' out of his sentence, at least I choose to believe that
    How Iread it also, 2nd time anyway.

My first mobo was the one we lived on for a year, a 'fast trawler' Ie semi-displacement. On our very first trip just 80 miles down the ICW, we came across two slower moving sailboats. As is the rules I duly hailed them on the VHF and asked if ewe might overtake and which side. They helpfully sloewed down so we did not need to speed up more than the 7-8kts we were doing and we passed easily without incident. They even thanked us on the VHF for being so considerate. 20 minutes later, however, we met a sailboat going the opposite way, motorsailing as most do in the ditch. We were still doing the same speed as when we passed the previous two boats that had thanked us, but the sailyboat man was incandescent, shouting and screaming abuse at us, my first time experiencing the other side of the coin. So spare a thought all for the other guy, he may not be as 'orrible as you think.
    Sermons from my pulpit are with tongue firmly in cheek and without any warranty!

Quote Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
    I'm on a pontoon in the river. A wake can be very unpleasant slamming the hull against the pontoon and causing the mooring ropes to snatch. What frustrates me is the marina mobo's are the worst offenders but chat to them and ask them what they'd think about someone raising a 2 foot wake in the marina and they get mad and yet the penny still doesn't drop. I've come to the conclusion that the vast majority of mobo owners are actually selfish self absorbed cretins and have some sympathy towards a few sail boat gripes. But they are by no means absolved of having an over abundance of sanctimonious blowhards either.
    What sort of boat have you got again

Quote Originally Posted by Bouba View Post
    I wouldn't be so sure !

For those that were wondering, yes, if you came past a row of pontoon berthed boats dragging a 2 foot wake then I am not inclined to believe any excuse you make about planing boats because I can assure you regardless of the state of the river and currents you can make passage without being a nuisance and contravening the bylaws. I've heard every excuse under the sun but they are just that. Excuses. Mostly people drag a wake through an anchorage, channel or mooring because they are one or more of the following
    impatient
    ignorant
    self absorbed
    showing off
    reckless

In case any of you are wondering why I take such a hard stance, you put your boat where I berth mine and I'll come past and put it on top of the pontoon for you, yes it happened and I was lucky the pontoon bollard didn't hole me, See if you change your tune after that.

For those that were wondering, yes, if you came past a row of pontoon berthed boats dragging a 2 foot wake then I am not inclined to believe any excuse you make about planing boats because I can assure you regardless of the state of the river and currents you can make passage without being a nuisance and contravening the bylaws. I've heard every excuse under the sun but they are just that. Excuses. Mostly people drag a wake through an anchorage, channel or mooring because they are one or more of the following
    impatient
    ignorant
    self absorbed
    showing off
    reckless

In case any of you are wondering why I take such a hard stance, you put your boat where I berth mine and I'll come past and put it on top of the pontoon for you, yes it happened and I was lucky the pontoon bollard didn't hole me, See if you change your tune after that.
    It sounds like you have a good reason to be miffed at people who drag a huge wake through moorings, but you made the inexcusable comment that most of the people on this motorboat forum are "selfish, self-absorbed cretins".
    I am only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand

impatient
    ignorant
    self absorbed
    showing off
    reckless

Perhaps its time to change your mooring if it is that bad

No I did not. I said most mobo owners were. And to clarify that further anything between 23 and 35 foot are the worst offenders for this. It's like they have a chip on their shoulder and have to show off in small man syndrome. If you drag a wake through my moorings trust me I will not be shy to tell you exactly what type of cretin you are, but will bend over backwards to help you any way I can if you show equal consideration. If that hurts your feelings dont drag a wake in congested areas. It's not big.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigplumbs View Post
    Perhaps its time to change your mooring if it is that bad
    Do you always run away from your problems?

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast