Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Sq 65 - undersized cable connecting generator to boat?

Quote Originally Posted by volvopaul View Post
    Two things here.

Check that the breaker from the generator to the boats supply panel is rated at the correct amperage to match the output of the generator , there should be one before it reaches the boats panel, most boats this size will have a supply cable for the domestic and another supply to the air con units, however when the Generator is run the whole demand for power comes from the one cable , I'd be making sure that the overload rating is correct and I doubt it is looking at how it's fried the cable.
    I'd be updating the cable size and making sure or replacing the overload breaker with something that is the correct rating for it to do its job, you were very lucky not to have a fire.
    That breaker is supplied pre installed in the genset. Left side, on the end of the gen, as you look at the thing (it's an MDKBT gendset). It will therefore be the right size.

Quote Originally Posted by jfm View Post
    Miles I'm with a/tom - you have a bad connection. Otherwise as he says you woyld see a charred neutral and even charring along the length. And it would have happened a while ago; something has changed recently.

Porto's talk of chargers etc is red herring. Your genset makes 100amps nominal, 85 real in hot weather, and its cable needs to be sized for that (and all the other factors you use for cable sizing, like grouping). so it likely needs 16 or 25mm sq cable (I think - you can look it up). Comparing with shorepower is barmy- that has 3 insulated cores plus an outer sheath so of course it is going to look thicker. Furthermore its capacity is reduced because it is multi core cable with touching cores so it needs more copper than the cable in your picture aotbe. I bet you have the black shore power cable and a glendinning-same as my boat each side.

In summary that's a bad joint not an undersized cable.
    Thanks John, v helpful, as ever! That makes perfect sense, esp re the variance in cable thickness. And, on the basis that you're correct, I have to say that's more in keeping with my general experience with the boat, which seems to be very 'over-engineered' in most respects, especially re all the technical installations. (especially in the battery department )

the heating up and cooling down of electric connections, combined with vibrations
    can cause electric connections to become insufficient / bad,
    one should have a rountine to check / re tighten electric connections every few years,
    I was shocked a few years ago how much and how many electric connections / screws I could tighten in the electric switch board.

MedMilo,
    may I asc where you stay with the boat ? do you have there a (temporary?) permanent berth?
    we are on our way to the Amalfi region ETA around 12 july,
    and will stay there for the rest of the summer. (most probably in Salerno)
    at the moment boat is in Polignano (east coats)

Quote Originally Posted by BartW View Post
    the heating up and cooling down of electric connections, combined with vibrations
    can cause electric connections to become insufficient / bad,
    one should have a rountine to check / re tighten electric connections every few years,
    I was shocked a few years ago how much and how many electric connections / screws I could tighten in the electric switch board.

MedMilo,
    may I asc where you stay with the boat ? do you have there a (temporary?) permanent berth?
    we are on our way to the Amalfi region ETA around 12 july,
    and will stay there for the rest of the summer. (most probably in Salerno)
    at the moment boat is in Polignano (east coats)
    Hi Bart
    Thanks for this. TBH it hadn't ever occurred to me to check the connection buried deep in the transformer but following last week's episode I will do from now on for sure!
    We've taken a berth for a year at Marina D'Arechi, Salerno, from June 1st. So far it seems incredibly well organised and functional - plenty of electrical power and all very new though only one or two restaurants and no supermarket or shop yet in the marina, so not quite Porto Montenegro! Though, by the look of it, all coming soon. Our main objectives were to have a safe base, easily accessible all year round and well placed to see the Amalfi area as well as Sicily. I spent last week there with friends, spending nights at Amalfi, Positano and Capri - simply stunning coastline and the furthest point (Capri) only 30nm away. Three weeks in July will be spent in Sicily and two weeks in August cruising to Ischia, Procida, Isola di Ponza etc
    The team there are very helpful indeed - if you'd like to get a deal done for the summer then PM either me or the resident expert, MAFWeiss of this parish, and we can put you in touch with the right people to talk to about rates and, indeed, to help with cleaners and technical people.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12