Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: What is the best port entrance you have gone to U.K. Only

I would certainly put in a vote for Dartmouth and especially agree with the amazing awe you feel entering the estuary after a long and remote trip across the bay. But I would also pop in a vote for Salcombe. The rolling hills, beautiful landscape and equally as captivating, especially after being thrown about around Start Point! There is something very real and natural with Salcombe, having no marina's and being a little more rustic in my humble opinion.

Well if its about entrances, Dartmouth is high up there, especially when approaching from cross channel with no GPS as it is really hard to see where it is until you are quite close.
    Central London always gives me a buzz.
    St Aubin if yo can sit on mud or the tiny little inner harbour in herm if you can take to the hard ground are favourites in the CIs. Again GPS so spoils the achievement, some tricky pilotage there which adds to the ceremony of arrival.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2 View Post
    Did the Bosuns Yoemans course in Vernon in '82. Remember the Ship Anson well!

Something about Pompey harbour entrance when returning from a long deployment.
    Portsmouth harbour entrance is simply magnificent. It screams of tradition and I love it

I would have to go for Dartmouth, especially in the evening when the shore lights are coming on but you still have enough light to see the valley sides and castles as you come in. From memory Bayards cove was a really warm colour, reddy, orangey pink and looked much more attractive than it does in real life!

I like ports tucked behind little inlets in rocky costs, so it's Polperro for me even though we have to make do with the visitors' buoys outside the drying harbour.

It's not a port, but we were at anchor in the South Haven of Skomer Island Wednesday night and that's pretty special too.

If it is simply the entrance..then yes Dartmouth...just come out of there and then a week in Salcombe and it has been perfect weather....but as a destination in itself...then Salcombe.
    Some of the small harbours such as Polperro are pretty impressive on the entrance , or Coverack.
    Currently now in Plymouth..I had forgotten what a slog it can be going west !!
    Last edited by gjgm; 22-06-17 at 19:37.

Darthmouth is pretty spectacular, approaches to the Crinian Canal at the Crinian end, but for me the best harbour approach without doubt has got to be

Grimsby ;-)

I haven't done many but does Alderney count as UK?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234