Default 2008+ Squadron 55 Opinions and Info

Hi All,

I'm looking for information on the post 2008 model of Fairline's Squadron 55 and would appreciate any first (or second..) hand reports about the boat. I've scoured the inter webs and have only found a couple of fairly cursory reports on the boat.

I'm looking to upgrade from my 2003 Princess 45 and would be interested in any knowledgeable input on the pros and cons for the S55.

Many thanks,

James.

Default Re: 2008+ Squadron 55 Opinions and Info

Be mindful of crappy electrics, the rest is really subjective from build to build.

Yep. Early boats had an electrical system called "pilot" that basically didn't work well. It allowed you to control lots of things from a flat panel next to the lower helm. Most were swapped out fully under warranty for a revised/better system, so check this has been done. Otherwise a perfectly ok boat. Existed as 55, then 58 with revised transom moulding, then 60 with big hilo swim platform.

Hi JFM,

Thanks for the input. I was wondering why most of the S55's for sale currently didn't seem to have a touch screen beside the lower helm. Instead they seem to have a number of push buttons in place of the touch screen.. Is this the revised system you were referring to?

Cheers,

James.

Quote Originally Posted by J12345T View Post
    Hi JFM,

Thanks for the input. I was wondering why most of the S55's for sale currently didn't seem to have a touch screen beside the lower helm. Instead they seem to have a number of push buttons in place of the touch screen.. Is this the revised system you were referring to?

I owned a SQ55 and then the SQ58. The push buttons is the revised system that JFM talks about and in 4 years I had no problems with it. The Pilot system was good in principal but rubbish in operation.

Cheers,

James.

Thanks Admillington,

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on owning the S55 if you have a minute. How did she handle in rough weather, was the chine noise a significant issue whilst sleeping at anchor, any significant maintenance issues etc. Also, how did you find the visibility from the lower helm with the large mullions and small side window? Would you recommend the boat?

Cheers,

James.