Default Offset Centreboards

While looking at adverts for cruising dinghies I came across this advert for a Clovelly Picarooner.

The centreboard seems to be offset from the centreline of the vessel. I've never seen this before. Is there a reason for it, or are my eyes playing up again?
    Picarooner.jpg

Default Re: Offset Centreboards

Done to avoid putting the board through the keel/hog as it can weaken this key structural member, although with GRP less critical. Also allows the board to go down beside an outside keel and the slot is not on the bottom but alongside the keel.

Expect it was a feature of the original boats which were launched from a stony beach and the GRP copy just followed. You might find it sails better on one tack than the other.

Thanks, bagsy me the wide side for sleeping. More room than a Wayfarer, and looks to be room to roll over under the thwart too.

These things are important at my age

I sailed one once. Never again, sliced through the water like a brick through treacle, manouvered like a dog on a marble floor.

The offset centre board is not a problem, the respected American small boat designer, Phil Bolger used them quite often on his quirky designs.
    Last edited by michael_w; 19-06-17 at 13:11.