Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Default Shocking shrinkage of Yachting Monthly.

My Summer 2017 edition arrived this morning in the post, think it has fewer pages than the monthly White Company discount vouchers booklet.

I doubt the magazine will survive into 2018 given the present rate of shrinkage, even the page dimensions are contacting.

Default Re: Shocking shrinkage of Yachting Monthly.

Yes, same in pbo. Very few advertisers nowadays I notice. A sign of the times. These two mags need to merge probably.
    “The stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt,” Bertrand Russell

Wasn't the summer one last year the same? If so more a summer phenomenon than a trend?

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    Wasn't the summer one last year the same? If so more a summer phenomenon than a trend?
    Maybe but the page dimension shrinkage is long term. On currents trends it will soon qualify as a booklet magazine.

I had previously told Swmbo not to renew the subscription as a Christmas present.

They changed the format of PBO two or three issues ago, and in the editorial they mentioned that it was a company-wide policy, made at a much higher level than either magazine. Fewer adverts, smaller and thinner pages, poorer print quality, but they claimed that the word count of the articles/columns remains the same.

One thing I've noticed is the paucity of boat adverts in the back- SWMBO and I can no longer play the 'pick me a boat for £X' game.
    Deb 33- Wayfarer- Wanderer

The editorial content has changed very little and the size shrinkage is a Time inc policy to reduce costs to try and keep the titles viable given the minimal advertising. It may of course backfire and lose readers.

What is the future of this forum if YBW sponsor it, or are is the website under separate control?

I would guess that even if the mags disappeared, the forum would stay as long as it was profitable.
    I am only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand

The hot-off-the-press ABC (circulation) figures for a variety of UK boating magazines make sobering reading.
    Below is a sample of titles, with 2016-17 circulation and year-on-year comparisons:

PBO 21,386 -11.2%
    YM 20,252 -8.8%
    YW 13,973 -13.5%
    MB&Y 11,177 -15.7%

These are truly tiny numbers. 25 years ago, when I was editing magazines, only the smallest shoestring operations would have been able to sustain them. In those days EMAP (now Bauer), a company not dissimilar to the publishing arm of Time, had a rule of thumb that anything with a circulation under 30,000 was not worth its place. The digital revolution changed that a little, but in no way compensates for the rise of digital media.

It won't be very long before people look back with a tear in their eye at the days when they belly-ached about shrinking titles.
    Mac

Any idea about the numbers of digital only subscriptions? I would be surprised if they made up for losses in print

Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast