Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141520 ... LastLast

Default Re: What scares you most when sailing?

Quote Originally Posted by Rhoda Rose View Post
    This sounds very whimpish, but deep water upsets me. East coast is my usual cruising ground, depth usually measured in 10's of meters. Once went a bit further afield and noticed 100+ meters under the boat and came over all vertigoish. Really, like standing on top of a high building. I had to consciously push the image of all that water under the boat to the back of my mind. Had I allowed myself to dwell on it I am not sure how I would have coped. Silly, but I don't like deep water, sure I would get used to it, but...
    I had that feeling sailing off Corfu when the depth sounder stop registering after 90 Mts. Didn't last long though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandgrounder View Post
    There was an article in YM a few years ago about just this. It was by a reader who sails an Elizabethan 23 long distance single handed. He landed up going over the side in Spain and had great trouble getting back aboard.
    He had designed two boarding ladders which formed part of the guard rails which could be hinged down into the water by pulling on a trailing line. They were designed so that they hinged through 90 degrees
    Wouldn't it be better if the trailing line acted on the steering to bring the boat into the wind and stop it, rather than giving you the chance to waterski by hanging on until your strength gave out?
    The more I know, the less I understand

Quote Originally Posted by Sandgrounder View Post
    There was an article in YM a few years ago about just this. It was by a reader who sails an Elizabethan 23 long distance single handed. He landed up going over the side in Spain and had great trouble getting back aboard.
    He had designed two boarding ladders which formed part of the guard rails which could be hinged down into the water by pulling on a trailing line. They were designed so that they hinged through 90 degrees
    Jim Mottram perchance?

You could rig a line from a strongpoint, to the autohelm, with slack in it, then upwards to a turning block on the guardwires or backstay, then over the side. A strong pull lifts the autohelm off the pin, and the line pulls tight to the strongpoint. Then it's a question of hauling yourself back to the boat as she flaps around in circles.
    On second thought, I'll just carry on clipping in when singlehanded...
    Deb 33- Wayfarer- Wanderer

Quote Originally Posted by Kelpie View Post
    Jim Mottram perchance?

You could rig a line from a strongpoint, to the autohelm, with slack in it, then upwards to a turning block on the guardwires or backstay, then over the side. A strong pull lifts the autohelm off the pin, and the line pulls tight to the strongpoint. Then it's a question of hauling yourself back to the boat as she flaps around in circles.
    On second thought, I'll just carry on clipping in when singlehanded...
    I have a Monitor windvane, I wonder where would be a good place to attach the trip line without it affecting the normal operation.

But, as you say, best to clip on; and with a short lifeline

Back to thread, ever since she did her yacht masters, the wife!
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿Neither a Remainer or a Leaver be. Hoping for the best but planning for the worst✔️

Quote Originally Posted by thecommander View Post
    Seajet tows a line behind his boat for that very situation!
    Better off with the autopilot remote control in yer pocket😀
    Brexit: ‘taking back’ what we had never lost, in order to lose everything we had...

My abiding fear is of all Italian boaters and UK charterers, secure in their RYA Day Skipper certificate.

I've never been overboard when single-handed in this boat, over 39K miles and 27 years - every time it's when the crew at the helm does something ill-considered.

Quote Originally Posted by jimi View Post
    Better off with the autopilot remote control in yer pocket��
    Does it act as a "dead man's handle" then? I would have thought that its range, from sea level or below, will be limited for use even very quickly when the yacht is sailing off... Interesting experiment!

Mike.

Seriously, one thing I am afraid of is the cold.
    I have had hypothermia and really don't want to go there again.

My imagination. When the shit does hit the fan, I seem - from experience - to become solution-focussed and absolutely fine.
    Plan B...?

Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141520 ... LastLast