Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Default Re: What scares you most when sailing?

Marinas with expensive boats in them.
    Tom, Sundance
    2wheels1keel.com

When a big mobo on plane comes straight for you.....

Falling overboard/losing a crew member overboard, especially when offshore. "Can be dealt with", and occasionally drilled, but it doesn't take much extra swell or some additional issue (seasickness is perhaps the biggest concern, actually, but also ropes round prop, halyard jams etc) to make it dramatically less manageable. The idea of being in such a hideous situation as the crew of Lion fairly recently, in which they lost a friend (and relative) overboard and recovered a corpse, is indescribably awful.

What scares me the most?

The possibility that I might forget to be scared.

The engine stopping. Not that my 1GM10 every did stop, or even miss a beat, and I always had a Plan B. but it did occasionally drink oil and there were times when a sudden stop or a low oil warning would have been a serious pain in the bahooki. My nice new Nanni undergoes sea trials at the yard on Monday ...
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

*ocking it up more than usual, giving evidence to the resulting enquiry.

Not wussing out when the weather is going off and sailing against my better judgement. Did that a couple of weeks ago, under pressure from a gung ho crew. We had a thoroughly torrid 12 hours, but nothing worse.
    Gwylan, a settee with a sail

This sounds very whimpish, but deep water upsets me. East coast is my usual cruising ground, depth usually measured in 10's of meters. Once went a bit further afield and noticed 100+ meters under the boat and came over all vertigoish. Really, like standing on top of a high building. I had to consciously push the image of all that water under the boat to the back of my mind. Had I allowed myself to dwell on it I am not sure how I would have coped. Silly, but I don't like deep water, sure I would get used to it, but...

When I started sailing, it was the obvious: getting into really bad weather and losing control of the boat. With more experience and better weather forecasts that has eased off.
    What stressed me most, in retrospect, was when the kids were young, sailing with their friends on board: young kids not used to being on a boat and doing unpredictable things. I was constantly on edge, unable to relax and enjoy the trip. I never had that with my own kids, who more or less grew up on board.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhoda Rose View Post
    This sounds very whimpish, but deep water upsets me. East coast is my usual cruising ground, depth usually measured in 10's of meters. Once went a bit further afield and noticed 100+ meters under the boat and came over all vertigoish. Really, like standing on top of a high building.
    I know the feeling, I think. In my gliding days I really didn't like getting above 10,000' above ground level. Below that I was absolutely fine, even though I am rubbish at heights, but above 10,000' the ground looked an awful long way away, the wings looked awful thin and a little voice whispered in my ear "You're two miles up".

My other half does not like being afloat in non-shallow water and therefore does not come sailing with me.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

What really scares me most is if I am sailing with my kids (age 12 and 14) and I fall overboard. For this reason I try to learn them how to stop the boat (unfortunately they haven't learnt that yet).
    Keep sailing

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast