Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1015161718192021 LastLast
    East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Default Re: What scares you most when sailing?

Land.

Lorient, just back from a second round Atlantic trip

Lightning, by far the most frightening circumstances to me, lightning all around and one s own metal mast as the only protuberance for hundred of miles around.
    Instead of the Bible or other sacred books, I have a paper with the probabilities of being struck at sea, though it s hardly comforting at sea.
    oh no, yet another sailing blog
    http://sybrancaleone.blogspot.com/

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by Roberto View Post
    Lightning, by far the most frightening circumstances to me, lightning all around and one s own metal mast as the only protuberance for hundred of miles around.
    Instead of the Bible or other sacred books, I have a paper with the probabilities of being struck at sea, though it s hardly comforting at sea.
    Hmm. Mast is stepped pretty much on the encapsulated lead... would lightning go that way or via the old SSB grounding plates.

Quote Originally Posted by Colvic Watson View Post
    Fire and MOB, the only emergencies we practice for as a family.
    Yup. And in that order too.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberto View Post
    I have seen a boat hit the 33Kv overheads with the crew, (out of my site line) standing by the mast. It melted the rivets holding mast to foot and blew out the instrument panel, but the crew was only emotionally shocked.

Lightning might well follow a similar route. Aeroplanes are struck daily while flying between discharge point and its intended earthing point on ground far below. It make holes in wings. Fortunately lightning will hit mast in preference to you, though I would not chance things by holding onto rigging
    A boat is for going places

Lorient, just back from a second round Atlantic trip

Quote Originally Posted by oldmanofthehills View Post
    I have seen a boat hit the 33Kv overheads with the crew, (out of my site line) standing by the mast. It melted the rivets holding mast to foot and blew out the instrument panel, but the crew was only emotionally shocked.

Lightning might well follow a similar route. Aeroplanes are struck daily while flying between discharge point and its intended earthing point on ground far below. It make holes in wings. Fortunately lightning will hit mast in preference to you, though I would not chance things by holding onto rigging
    It's the fact that nothig can be done to be absolutely safe, crew or boat, it all depends if the random stronger flash hits you, or not.
    I've been hit by a (I suppose) weak flash, it set the masthead vhf antenna on fire, blew the vhf radio, and a strong smell of burnt plastic around the mast base copper wire connection to the keel; the compass kept on turning round and round, at that time no gps nor other electronics we arrived home somehow.

This is instead a friend's boat hit by a strong one, it set it on fire, boat total loss. It had the "Lightning protection system" as per ISO 10134. Not saying the protection does not work ever, but against a strong lightning seems uneffective, so back to probabilities
    20150115_093845.jpg
    oh no, yet another sailing blog
    http://sybrancaleone.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Baggywrinkle View Post
    ... when I realise I am reaching the limits of my experience, knowledge or ability.
    Isn't that just extending the learning curve?

PS I've just thought what scares me most when sailing - The day I am forced to give it up.
    Last edited by LadyInBed; 14-05-19 at 15:49.
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

The biggest worries? Three of them:

1 Mooring fees. We'd all love a bigger boat but mooring fees seem to go up exponentially and annually. Until you've finally sold the boat. No escape till then.

2 Running aground (fin keel) when entering a new harbour on the ebb. Truly worrying.

3 My colour blindness at night. ('leave the blue light to the left'...)

I have a club mooring, so No 1 isn't an issue. I'd tell you how much I pay, but I don't like to see grown men cry

No 2 is why I try to go into unknown or difficult places on a rising tide. I saw someone get it wrong going into Ryde harbour once. It was a bilge keeler, so only their pride was damaged, but it's definitely embarrassing. Anywhere but a harbour entrance you can just put the kettle on and pretend you meant it, but not there. I also saw someone in a fin aground on Ryde Sands, an oldish boat, so narrow and over a long way. A series of cruise and container ships came by as they were lifting up and bounced them around something 'orrid. I was sufficiently concerned to phone the coastguard, but they were in contact and uncomfortable, but OK.
    Steve
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Quote Originally Posted by Stemar View Post
    I saw someone get it wrong going into Ryde harbour once. It was a bilge keeler, so only their pride was damaged, but it's definitely embarrassing.
    There's aground - and then there's aground.

I subscribe to the Saint Thomas a'Cunliffe school - 'If you haven't run aground, you're not trying'.

Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1015161718192021 LastLast