Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast

Default Re: What scares you most when sailing?

What scares you most when sailing ?

Running out of beer................................
    We have done it........... we are now full time liveboards !!!

Breaking waves.

Lightning squalls

A man who is not afraid of the sea will soon be drownded, he said, for he will be going out on a day when he shouldn't. But we do be afraid of the sea, and we do only be drownded now and again.

John Millington Synge

On the basis of the above, yes, I'm afraid of the sea! Personally I regard it as unseamanlike to leave harbour in inclement conditions. Being caught out in them is one matter - I'll cope. But going out in them voluntarily seems to me at best foolish, and at worst deadly.

What's the opposite of vertigo? I'm suffering from it a bit on the East coast, where the depth sounder rarely reaches double figures; I used to regard anything less than 10 metres as too shallow!

What scares me most is the thing I don't know that I've forgotten/left out of my calculations, so haven't allowed for.

The most scared I've been at sea was crossing the channel. The fog came down <200 yds visibility and we could hear a ship's engines getting closer but couldn't see it. It finally crossed ahead, just in view, which is a LOT closer than I'd have allowed it in decent vis.
    Steve
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Quote Originally Posted by thecommander View Post
    Serious thread.
    Most things can be dealt with but the thought of a serious onboard medical emergency in heavy seas miles from help scares the bejesus out of me.
    Fire and MOB, the only emergencies we practice for as a family.

There's two types of fear:
    1) Sudden emergency where adrenalin kicks in and you tend to manage without getting terribly scared until post the event.
    2)When caught out in cr@p weather miles away from port where the long insidious tendrils of fear try to encapsulate your being.

1&2 combined is quite an event! I recall Stingo breaking his forestay singlehanded mid atlantic with the closest place the Cape Verde Islands 3 days away . That must have put years on him!

Personally I hate shallow water and breaking waves.
    Brexit: ‘taking back’ what we had never lost, in order to lose everything we had...

Running out of Rum! It nearly happened once but an emergency bottle of VOD was discovered under a quarter berth

Some general increase in anxiety setting off on a longish passage in a new-to-me boat - too many unknowns. Same having serviced the engine myself for the first time.

And generally setting off on a long trip from a safe mooring - an old separation anxiety that soon passes when underway.

Really getting to know a boat - over a couple of years - makes everything more comfortable.

Oddly, facing any kind of actual problem, any lingering anxiety lifts and I feel completely calm.
    Last edited by Poey50; 29-06-17 at 17:02.

I went single-handed for the first time this month. I probably stood over the pulpit with one end of the mooring strop in my hand for about a minute or so before I finally let go of it.

I was a bit anxious coming back onto the mooring having sailed the boat alone for the first time.

Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast