Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 23456789101116 ... LastLast

Default Re: What scares you most when sailing?

Quote Originally Posted by capnsensible View Post
    Breaking waves.
    Breaking wind
    Still learning.

Quote Originally Posted by thecommander View Post
    How many sailors have been killed in lightning storms?
    Dunno but I once saw a yacht half a mile or so in front of me get hit. They didn't like it much.

That something crucial might break in heavy weather. Mast, rudder, stays, gooseneck etc - even a plank spring. Guess if you are in a modern plastic boat some geek will have calculated the loads and you trust them. In my old wooden boat it's all down to the hours of examining everything and convincing yourself it's sound or mending it if not. Most things on my boat seem to be twice as heavy as everyone else's as a consequence.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieW View Post
    Turn it into a positive - you're never more than 6 miles from land
    Deep water doesn't scare me at all..... the other stuff ... well under 5m I get edgy!

I recall motor sailing into a F6 in a 22 footer with my newly rebuilt (by me) 1GM10 running at full chat, a tug bearing down on me in a channel and a novice friend on board being a little stressful.

Memories scare me ... the things I did when I was young and immortal. Did I really sail a 21' boat round the Mull of Kintyre in September and end up motoring the inshore route in heavy swell with a Seagull 40 pushing me along? Oh yes I did.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    Memories scare me ... the things I did when I was young and immortal. Did I really sail a 21' boat round the Mull of Kintyre in September and end up motoring the inshore route in heavy swell with a Seagull 40 pushing me along? Oh yes I did.
    Gosh yes.... I did rather a lot of the "when I was young and immortal" stuff. Escaped unscathed by virtue of what I am not sure. I think those crazy things when you are " young and immortal" serve a useful purpose to propel you through life. With the current "cottonwool" approach to life experiences , I think a lot of people will have surprises later than we did!

Racing with incompetent skippers - two occasions had them - one used to steer into broaches with the kite up!! The other knew the sender gauge was reading incorrectly but we still ran out of diesel mid-channel with no wind on the return from a race across to Deauville.

Berthing a boat you don't know that well into an unknown tight spot with an audience looking on - once took a Vancouver 34 into the Boat Show at Southampton the evening before the start of the show. Nailed it fine but god I was sweating!

I was genuinely scared by a stalking Orca 4 days out of Gran Canaria to St Lucia which was getting closer and closer to the bolt on keel and spade rudder!

I know how fast I'm going, but not where I am

Calmac ferries.

Fear is a funny thing though, and oits definitely not rational. On board, the howling of the wind gets to me and I feel nervous. Yet I ride a motorbike without the slightest worry and statistically that is way more likely to kill me than sailing. Indeed I have already been airlifted into A&E after an RTA on the bike.

Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 23456789101116 ... LastLast