Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast

Default Re: What scares you most when sailing?

Not reading this thread, I have enough of my own demons without taking on board everyone else's

Quote Originally Posted by SimonFa View Post
    Not reading this thread, I have enough of my own demons without taking on board everyone else's
    I find it very useful to know that I am not the only person who is not super-confident at all times when afloat.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

I worry about engine failure or picking up something on the prop close inshore with an onshore wind and very deep running to cliffs so not easy to anchor. Places like Bardsey, N Stack, Carmel Head Portland etc.

Sitting on the rocks watching a deep swell breaking and hearing that seething sucking sound it makes as the water falls back into the deep

On the medical front we did the RYA first aid course, it shows you how to treat broken bones, burns, cuts, CPR etc it covers everything you will ever come across. It also gives an extensive list of drugs to treat everything including two to slow down a burst appendix (and how to test for it) so you can put out a mayday call. We got all the drugs from the doc when we said we were going long distance sailing and will be 1,000+nms from land. Some were free some we paid for. Most we didn't use but it gives peace of minds, cuts were the most common thing, use kitchen roll to stop bleeding it is sterile out of the pack as is cling film to cover burns after applying flamzene cream.

Single handed. Stuck up the mast. At sea. Nobody in sight. No radio. No knife. No phone.

Try and get onto the spreaders and jump into the sea? Or slide down the mast? Or wait for help?

Quote Originally Posted by thecommander View Post
    Single handed. Stuck up the mast. At sea. Nobody in sight. No radio. No knife. No phone.

Try and get onto the spreaders and jump into the sea? Or slide down the mast? Or wait for help?
    Sorry to tell you this ... there's a thunderstorm coming ...

Quote Originally Posted by thecommander View Post

A somewhat nuanced predicament. Didn't you think to put your Gerber in your pocket or aren't you wearing any trousers either?

When Single handing (which is most of the time nowadays): how I would feel watching my boat sailing happily on autohelm without me.... brings the mind sharply into focus about LJ and harness discipline on deck even in a flat calm!
    Is Conservation for wildlife or conservationists?
    http://boatownersresponse.org.uk

Seajet tows a line behind his boat for that very situation!

Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast