Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast

Default Re: What scares you most when sailing?

Quote Originally Posted by thecommander View Post
    Seajet tows a line behind his boat for that very situation!
    I know. I doubt very much I could 'climb' back up the rope with boat doing 5 - 6kts. Seajet has also given a lot of thought to some means for disconnecting the AH if he goes OB, as have I... I never tried it but I am told that even at 3-4kts speed through the water makes self recovery pretty well impossible.

Would love to hear from someone who has managed to do it!
    Is Conservation for wildlife or conservationists?
    http://boatownersresponse.org.uk

The idea of a serious medical emergency when offshore frightens me.

Also, and perhaps bizarrely, I was frightened on sighting land at the end of my first Atlantic crossing. Having had fairly straight-forward nav for weeks, I suddenly had to think about a whole load of other things!
    "I thought my daffodils were yellow until I met Joe Kennedy."

Quote Originally Posted by Major_Clanger View Post
    The idea of a serious medical emergency when offshore frightens me.

Also, and perhaps bizarrely, I was frightened on sighting land at the end of my first Atlantic crossing. Having had fairly straight-forward nav for weeks, I suddenly had to think about a whole load of other things!
    I can understand that. I have only done one crossing and as we neared St Lucia I had an overwhelming feeling of wanting to sail on and not stop. Not an option as I was not the skipper!

Quote Originally Posted by parsifal View Post
    I can understand that. I have only done one crossing and as we neared St Lucia I had an overwhelming feeling of wanting to sail on and not stop. Not an option as I was not the skipper!
    Bernard?

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by KellysEye View Post
    use kitchen roll to stop bleeding it is sterile out of the pack as is cling film
    Having worked for the biggest worldwide producer of both of those items, I can assure you it certainly isn't sterile. Rats chewing into the uncut bulk rolls of kitchen roll was one of the biggest issues the paper mill had to deal with.

Not that any of that would be a real concern if you're plugging a bleeding hole in your arm mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Gobes View Post
    A somewhat nuanced predicament. Didn't you think to put your Gerber in your pocket ....
    Who do you think he is, Richard Gere?
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    Oh yes. I'm with you there. Twenty seven years ago I was so seasick - my first time ever - on a trip from Plymouth to Falmouth that I got seriously hypothermic. Ever since then I have been terrified of getting it again, and for some years I gave up sailing because I could not get Scopaderm patches.

Recently it occurred to me that, having been seasick precisely once in my life and not for a quarter of a century, I may not be as prone to it as I think ... but that's logic, and it hasn't convinced my gut instinct yet. I am scared of being seasick.
    I was seasick once going to Canada when I was 4. Belfast - Clyde - Montreal took 23 days through a North Atlantic winter storm. The captain, later commodore, said it was his worst ever crossing and told my father on arrival that the ship's back had been broken.

Quote Originally Posted by parsifal View Post
    That's not an uncommon feeling. I've no idea how to describe that emotion but it's very familiar to anyone who has experienced long passages at sea with nothing but your crew mates.

Quote Originally Posted by capnsensible View Post
    That's not an uncommon feeling. I've no idea how to describe that emotion but it's very familiar to anyone who has experienced long passages at sea with nothing but your crew mates.
    Not just long passages either.
    Is Conservation for wildlife or conservationists?
    http://boatownersresponse.org.uk

Quote Originally Posted by oldharry View Post
    I know. I doubt very much I could 'climb' back up the rope with boat doing 5 - 6kts. Seajet has also given a lot of thought to some means for disconnecting the AH if he goes OB, as have I... I never tried it but I am told that even at 3-4kts speed through the water makes self recovery pretty well impossible.

Would love to hear from someone who has managed to do it!
    There was an article in YM a few years ago about just this. It was by a reader who sails an Elizabethan 23 long distance single handed. He landed up going over the side in Spain and had great trouble getting back aboard.
    He had designed two boarding ladders which formed part of the guard rails which could be hinged down into the water by pulling on a trailing line. They were designed so that they hinged through 90 degrees
    Ennui: Can I be bothered?

Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast