Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: Bradwell Marina - worthwhile?

The more I read this thread, I am the more pleased that I gave it a miss. Which incidentally was completely down to the attitude of the HM when contacted them 1nm out for a berth, to be advised "come in (to our dodgily marked facility) and then we will tell you if we have one"

They have metal pontoons which are safer than poorly maintained timber found elsewhere. The fingers are very stable. The metal is edged with timber. What's wrong with them?
    Not all who wander are lost

Quote Originally Posted by Hadenough View Post
    The more I read this thread, I am the more pleased that I gave it a miss. Which incidentally was completely down to the attitude of the HM when contacted them 1nm out for a berth, to be advised "come in (to our dodgily marked facility) and then we will tell you if we have one"
    Your uninformed knowledge of Bradwell will not deter others or stop it being one the highest occupancy marinas on the east coast. I appreciate that careful navigation and boat handling doesn't appeal to everybody.
    Not all who wander are lost

I enter Bradwell as nearly often at night as I do in daylight. In fact the harbour staff commented that they have nicknamed me the vampire as i only ever seem to play at night. I find it quite easy & adverse comments about access are a little unfounded provided one waits for enough water. Entry by daylight is quite straight forward if one follows the PH buoys & then locates the stbd hand buoy & keeps close to it when turning. Watch out for the end of the launching ramp, marked with a pole, & then pick up the PH buoy near the marina entrance.
    The pontoons are good & plenty of room for manouvers between the main runs. It is an excellent marina with friendly staff
    To be recommended
    Last edited by Daydream believer; 20-07-17 at 20:25.
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

I too enjoy Bradwell Marina and a meal in the Green Man reminds me of my days running the now defunct emporium just down river. However, since acquiring Wild Thyme with her 4.05 m beam, I will only go in if they will offer me a hammerhead berth before I leave the river, In my previous boat, only 3.52 m beam, I twice got wedged in the allocated finger berth only half way in, despite having stated the beam clearly over the VHF before the berth was allocated. I do remember the days before the fingers were put in and I have a suspicion that the fingers were put in without spacing out the berths any further (that would have been an expensive move in terms of lost berths). The natural result is narrow berths. The staff were very good at sorting the problem out by shifting us to a more appropriate berth on both occasions.

Oh, and problems with navigating the entrance? None in 44 years of using the place as a visitor. It's on my mental list of half tide ports.

Peter

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234