Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Bestevaer 49

Living on dirt waiting for our new yacht to be built.

Default Re: Bestevaer 49

Quote Originally Posted by Mister E View Post
    Can I ask what sort of heating system you are going to use?
    Certainly. It will be a Reflex drip diesel heater. Model 2000K.

Unlike the hot air systems like Webesto, the drip fed units use no power. They are very simple and reliable, but often difficult to fit unless the boat has been designed with a suitable location for the flue.

Thanks for the reply you make a very good point about designing these thing in from the start so that you get what you want.

I presume that the heater will be in the main cabin so will you be heating the other cabins?

Quote Originally Posted by Mister E View Post
    I presume that the heater will be in the main cabin so will you be heating the other cabins?
    The Reflex is centrally located. This, combined with a very well insulated hull and reasonably open plan, means we are hopeful that the heat distribution will be acceptable.

I was tempted to add heat to the shower, but this adds a fair bit of complication as the hot water has to be piped through a waterproof bulkhead.

We have tried hard to make the boat as simple as possible. Too many complicated boats end up waiting for repairs and the owners end up spending their time fixing instead of enjoying. There are some luxury touches, but these are backed up with redundant systems. For example, like our previous yacht we will be fitting a water maker, but we also have large water tanks and a system to collect rainwater from the deck.

And which water maker have you fitted? and why?

The watermaker has not been fitted yet. It is something we are installing ourselves. KM have installed the through hulls. These are all on standpipes that raise the seacock 200mm above the waterline, removing the risk of a leaking seacock sinking the boat.

KM have also installed a large aluminium shelf with a raised waterproof lip to catch any drips.

We had a Spectra unit on our previous yacht and it was brilliant. I estimate it made over 60,000 L of water for us and the only service needed was filters and one feed water pump. So it will be a Spectra unit again, but probably the next size up (as we have more solar), which is the Cape Horn model.

Quote Originally Posted by noelex View Post
    The watermaker has not been fitted yet. It is something we are installing ourselves. KM have installed the through hulls. These are all on standpipes that raise the seacock 200mm above the waterline, removing the risk of a leaking seacock sinking the boat.

KM have also installed a large aluminium shelf with a raised waterproof lip to catch any drips.

We had a Spectra unit on our previous yacht and it was brilliant. I estimate it made over 60,000 L of water for us and the only service needed was filters and one feed water pump. So it will be a Spectra unit again, but probably the next size up (as we have more solar), which is the Cape Horn model.
    Thanks

And the next question was:

How are you to generate power? Obviously 'some' solar (but how much) and what else?

Living in the 21st Century, on a yacht, demands an ability to use and charge an increasing number of electronic devices and more mundane items like washing machines, bread makers and water makers and even boring items like autopilot and radar. I'm of the sobering experience that it does not matter how much generation capacity you have - it will always be too little (but having a clutch of granddaughters does not help).

Solar, a bit over 1000w, will be the main source of power. There are also a couple of large alternators (that are yet to be fitted).

No WattnSea, or equivalent?

We have found our Aqua4gen (no longer available) - but there are alternatives and WattnSea are a more impressive iteration (at a cost) - has been invaluable on longer passages especially overnight when everything is running (autopilot, radar, nav lights, fridge, freezer etc, etc). We have 650w solar, wind gen OR aquagen, and 400amphr house - but on a gloomy Tasmanian day we would not survive reliant on solar. We have a 150 and 60 alternator - but they (or the engines) as noisy (and use diesel).

You did not seem to have much luck with your previous chain (issues of galvanising, or lack of) - what have you gone with (supplier, size, length and grade) and what focussed that choice? Will you carry a spare rode?

And noting you have an initial Baltic focus - what ground tackle, extra, or focussed for Baltic cruising will you carry to allow to for Baltic mooring/anchoring.

Edit:

There is an article pending in SAIL on Baltic and higher latitude anchoring in the near future - but it will be well after your commissioning is over I fear.

Close edit.
    Last edited by Neeves; 16-09-17 at 12:23.

I had a great time today hooking up all the new toys, sorry I mean important instruments in the workshop at home. We are fitting most of the navigation instruments ourselves, although KM are installing the equipment that needs engineering such as the autopilot drive and radar dome.

I have fitted instruments to several yachts and enjoy the work. It is also much easier to troubleshoot when you have put the system together personally.

KM have been very accommodating. A boat like this takes a long time to build, but part of the pleasure is regular visits that allow us to see the details unfold and plan things such as where instruments will be installed.

We sometimes just sit with a beer in the half finished pilot house and imagine the adventures to come .

The proper installation should be a bit neater than this .

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast