Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast

Thread: Bestevaer 49

Default Re: Bestevaer 49

I see that boat has a tiller, but is the thing with the blue cover on it in the cockpit a wheel pedestal? I also wonder if there is provision to steer from inside the deckhouse in bad weather?
    Working on immortality - One day at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by noelex View Post
    Once again it is a little too early for these details to be finalised, but our preference is to avoid G7 chain if possible. The chain locker is well back from the bow, so there is less impact from the heavy chain on sailing performance.

G7 is difficult to replace in remote locations and needs watching carefully as a small loss of material translates to a significant loss of strength. Anchoring about 300 days a year we are tough on anchoring gear and our G7 chain only lasted 4 years and really needed replacing around the three year mark.

The weight savings are significant so I think G7 can still be a good option for many boats especially for lightweight catamarans like yours. There is not much loss of anchor performance going for lighter chain although most of this loss is in difficult substrates where the anchor is strugglng to set which is perhaps where the loss can be least afforded, but this is uncommon if a good quality anchor is used.
    Thanks for the reply,

I think Vyv remarked that his galvanising life for G4 chain, also from Maggi, was not too different to yours - this might have simply been, in both cases, a bad batches (as 2 comments are hardly statistical - though have some significance). There is an alternative and that would be Peerless - who galvanise in house, Maggi subcontract (as do many other chain makers). Hopefully Maggi have lifted their game.

In both cases, Vyv and yourself, I think Vyv's gal lasted 4 years - this would be a significant life for most weekend owners - as 300 night at anchor over, your, 3 years is almost 1000 nights which for a 2 night weekend is 10 years of life - and many would be happy with that! Reading about people who re-gal many seem to gal quite frequently - like 3 to 4 times - so short gal life is not unusual.

There are no manufacturer published specifications for gal thickness - and you could have a similar low life, or lower, with G40 from any supplier and in isolated paces there are few galvanisers.

Peerless also have a decent distribution and would merit consideration for G7

For 100m of chain the savings in down sizing from 10mm to 8mm is 100kg, not much for a heavier yacht - but its still the weight of a man standing on the bow as you beat to windward.

Lighter chain can help in some difficult substates - because its smaller - if the anchor is setting correctly, a modern anchor shackle and toe together, then smaller chain is an asset. Obviously if the shackle does not bury than you do not enjoy this benefit . If you read back through PS archives you will find that smaller chain, with a modern anchor, say changing from 10mm to 8mm, offers a 7% increase in depth of set which corresponds to about a 14% increase in hold - not to be sniffed at (though this benefit might be less in a harder substrate). Lighter chain, because it is lifted off the seabed earlier will actually have longer life than a heavier chain - assuming you have decent snubbers. Lighter chain also takes up less room, needs a smaller windlass (if you desire) and uses less power.

Consequently the idea that lighter chain only offers a weight advantage in the bow might need a re-think.

Interestingly Dashew, whose boats are built for owners looking to venture to far flung places, does seem to think that G70 is still the better option.

But you appear to discount re-galvanising - surely it is an option if the chips are down.

edit - there are also other methods of galvanising which allow you to specify gal thickness of a coating that it more abrasion resistant than normal HDG. Additionally as you can galvanise G100 then even if you lose the gal you still have a chain around 20% stronger than G70 - which would allow greater leeway if you lose chain diameter. - there are still lots of options close edit

Jonathan
    Last edited by Neeves; 14-07-17 at 09:39.

Living on dirt waiting for our new yacht to be built.

Quote Originally Posted by Norman_E View Post
    I see that boat has a tiller, but is the thing with the blue cover on it in the cockpit a wheel pedestal? I also wonder if there is provision to steer from inside the deckhouse in bad weather?
    You have a keen eye for detail to spot the pedestal in the cockpit. It is a combined foot/hand brace with a place to mount the compass and it also functions as a breathing point for the engine intake.

The yacht is tiller steered, as our yacht will be. Inside steering will be provided with a remote control to the autopilot.

Living on dirt waiting for our new yacht to be built.

This photo of the exterior of our boat was taken recently. KM do a wonderful job of shaping the flat aluminium sheets into a beautiful hull shape.

Very, very, very nice boat.

Close to a dream cruising boat for me (buys lottery ticket).

p.s. very nice

She really is a thing of great beauty. Love the go anywhere capabilities she seems to have.

Oh man, that is stunning. i real adventure boat

Quote Originally Posted by noelex View Post
    The Aerorig was a good idea, but I think it was a bit of a commercial failure and I am not sure it is available any longer. Unconventional solutions can be difficult to repair in out of the way places.
    There was one incident which created a real problem. A fault was found in the mast and, instead of scrapping it and starting again, they added additional layers of carbon, thus ending up with a mast which was was twice the specified weight. This led IIRC to legal action and lots of bad publicity - and ultimately to the demise of the company.

As far as sailing performance is concerned it was tested against a conventional rig on two identical boats and came out on top on all points of sailing. The additional cost was to some extent offset by savings on rigging, winches and other gear.

I believe that this type of rig exists in other makes but you have obviously done your homework.

Lovely boat - I hope she gives you much pleasure.
    Last edited by Sybarite; 14-07-17 at 13:35.

The quality of KM's workmanship is clearly first rate.
    Last edited by Frogmogman; 14-07-17 at 14:02.

In terms of anchor choice this might be sobering reading. It is refreshing when an anchor maker openly admits that their anchor might have limitations (all anchors are a compromise and none are perfect).

This is the reason we carry a Fortress, Spade and Excel.

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread...74#post6128874

Jonathan

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast