Page 6 of 30 FirstFirst ... 23456789101116 ... LastLast

Thread: Bestevaer 49

Default Re: Bestevaer 49

I suppose you are pushing the effort level up a bit. That's an impressive grill. Still it's not too hard to smash a window or deck hatch and climb in. Or do you have bars for all of them? It is really hard to be secure.

Good idea. Is that a standard Bestevaer feature or a detail you have thought of ?

Quote Originally Posted by Zing View Post
    I suppose you are pushing the effort level up a bit. That's an impressive grill. Still it's not too hard to smash a window or deck hatch and climb in. Or do you have bars for all of them? It is really hard to be secure.

Yes, the first goal is to make our boat more difficult to break into compared to others in the anchorage. This does not take much effort, and hopefully should encourage the bad guys to go elsewhere.

I agree the pilothouse windows are probably the most vulnerable point, but we also have some solid aluminium storm covers for every window. These were made primarily in case a window was broken (or leaked) when offshore sailing, but we plan to use these if leaving the boat for extended periods.

If we were on board and people were trying to enter it would take them some time to break and enter via the windows and we could escape behind the waterproof door. This area is secure and would take a long time to to penetrate.

The deck hatches are custom made and are also very secure with four stainless steel locking handles. There are removable security bars below each hatch. These are so the hatch can be left open for ventilation.

I hope these measures don't come across as paranoid. We are not overly worried about security, but it seems a shame that a typical house with its many doors and larger windows is so much more secure than the average boat. When incorporated into the initial design stage of a new boat these measures are not difficult, or expensive. No production boats seem to include any security options (although I think Amel offer security bars for the hatches).

Adding security after the boat has been built is much harder.

Securing you yacht like Fort Knox might imply there is something worth stealing. We have 'U' bolts either side of double aluminium patio doors and a stainless bar between the 'U' bolts and big Yale padlocks. They arrived with big bolt croppers and chopped off the 10mm 'U' bolts (that had been 'padded' out to make access for bolt croppers difficult). They then jemmied the door, big box section aluminium frame and armoured glass.

They then removed at the domestic appliances, which were worth very little. They were not interested in marine equipment (most of it dates too quickly). The damage to the doors etc cost much more than the loss of an electric kettle, toaster etc.

The perpetrators were professionals, used marigold gloves, the police had an excellent print. They worked 2 yachts in each anchorage and moved on. They were never caught.

A smoke canister at 3am through the open bars on a hot night will have you out and opening the boat up in a flash. If any one want entry they will achieve it. In many countries you might be the only yacht in an anchorage, you can assume they will arrive armed and not be afraid you use the equipment - I'm not sure your safe haven will withstand gun shots.

Small crappy yachts do not get broken into - big swanky boats are the common target - guess why.

People without look at people with - and have envy and opportunity in their eyes, anywhere in Central or S America, most of coastal Africa.

Quote Originally Posted by Neeves View Post
    Securing you yacht like Fort Knox might imply there is something worth stealing. We have 'U' bolts either side of double aluminium patio doors and a stainless bar between the 'U' bolts and big Yale padlocks. They arrived with big bolt croppers and chopped off the 10mm 'U' bolts (that had been 'padded' out to make access for bolt croppers difficult). They then jemmied the door, big box section aluminium frame and armoured glass
    On the contrary, I think visible security is better and more likely to make to make thieves move on to an easier target.

Locks, for example, can be very discrete but still reasonably secure despite appearing to be an easy target. Better in my view is a big, obviously solid lock or locks that deters would be thieves before they start, but I guess one of the nice things about boats is they can be tailored to our individual preferences.

Sorry to hear about your break in.
    Last edited by noelex; 08-08-17 at 19:18.

Some of the protective coverings have been removed, giving a better view of the interior:

Quote Originally Posted by noelex View Post
    On the contrary, I think visible security is better and more likely to make to make thieves move on to an easier target.

Locks, for example, can be very discrete but still reasonably secure despite appearing to be an easy target. Better in my view is a big, obviously solid lock or locks that deters would be thieves before they start, but I guess one of the nice things about boats is they can be tailored to our individual preferences.

Sorry to hear about your break in.
    Agreed. Our main hatch has a substantial s/s burglar bar across it with two padlocks. In yer face security. In addition, our deck hatches have burglar bars inside that slide into the ceiling void when not needed. The main front hatch burglar bars are a great place to hang towels to dry them when the hatch it open....

Quote Originally Posted by Frogmogman View Post
    Good idea. Is that a standard Bestevaer feature or a detail you have thought of ?
    Thanks.

There are really no standard features on the Bestevaer. The factory will build anything that is technically feasible according to the owners' wishes.

They have built, and are building, some truely amazing boats with features that would astonish the yachting world, but many of these boats belong to owners who value their privacy so sadly these boats (together with the ideas and technical achievements) don't receive any publicity.

I don't think any of the security ideas on our boat are unique. They have certainly used removable security bars under the hatches, and watertight doors are common, but after 10 years of full time cruising we have our own ideas about the features that make an ideal cruising yacht so the boat reflects our own interpretation of this goal.

Tank monitoring

This will be via a Tank Tender gauge. We used this system successfully on our previous yacht.

It is very accurate, enabling tank contents to measured very precisely, but perhaps more importantly it is very reliable. As it needs no electricity there is no chance of any stray current problems.

Our tank tender gauge has arrived:
    Attached Images Attached Images

We use sight tubes, needs no power, sufficiently accurate for most leisure marine operators, easy to read, costs peanuts, perfectly acceptable for almost 20 years now

Page 6 of 30 FirstFirst ... 23456789101116 ... LastLast