Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Default Re: Anchoring rights

Need to understand what boat
    I must have been reincarnated because I'm living the life of Riley.

>So 150' of chain in 15 feet of water but less in 40 feet of water?

See below it's a matter of weight the catenary in shallow water it take much longer to lift the chain the wind gets up. In deep water the catenary is much larger and thus holds the boat much longer.

>>Catenary doesn't "hold" anything, it's a name used to describe a certain shape of curve.

It's the weight of the catenary that holds the boat not the shape

Quote Originally Posted by KellysEye View Post

>>Catenary doesn't "hold" anything, it's a name used to describe a certain shape of curve.

It's the weight of the catenary that holds the boat not the shape
    You don't know the terms at all, catenary has no units, no weight, it's a description of a shape which is the result of forces, not the cause of the forces. .

There is a bit in what you say as the force to lift the last link from the seabed gets greater as the depth increases for the same scope (depth:chain length) but even then your numbers are way out. For 10mm chain with a horizontal force of 250Kg the scope required is more like 1:7.4 in 4.5m and 1:4.5 in 12.2m but even then there's little point putting all the chain out in shallower water as modern anchors can stay stuck with a few degrees of up lift from the chain. Little point unless you want to completely hack off every other boat in the anchorage by using far far too much chain.

Anyway, forget looking to catinary to reduce the dynamic loads on the anchor when the conditions really get nasty, it doesn't do much, get a proper snubber.

Quote Originally Posted by BobnLesley View Post
    Where'd the bull go? I can only see its sh1t.
    I wonder what I could smell

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Robb View Post
    PT - agree with what you say. But it is especially important to ensure that you stop yachts doing stupid things Before they do it, especially before night fall with a not so good forecast. Some times there is no alternative to the shouted "Stop", but by far the best way is to offer to help, and if its refused help them anyway if they are standing into a dangerous situation. Ask questions - like how much chain do you have - dont say you dont have enough - you will elicit the same information in the end. It is important to avoid heat - and loss of face which the French seem to suffer from by bucket loads in my humble experience! I have had few problems even from the Italians. I have suffered more damage and a refusal to talk from the French - of course with exceptions.....

My worst fear is the yacht that leaves to reset an anchor on a stern too quay, who goes forward at high speed pulling in his/her chain and then who wanders around with the anchor an unknown depth into the water effectively trawling for those chains that are set up good and tight. Especially at night..... One of those French boats in the Aegean - blue and skippered by a woman - is well worth being wary about as we had 3 attacks in 5 nights from her - despite being 6 boats away! always someone elses fault
    Why is gender relevant?

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderella66 View Post
    Why is gender relevant?
    I'd normally agree with you that bringing gender into a discussion isn't helpful but in this case I read it as part of describing a yacht to avoid in that cruising area - so blue, French and a female skipper. That doesn't imply to me that there is anything wrong with blue boats or French boats either but the combination of all 3 means it might be her. Perhaps the boats name would have been more conclusive.

Oh dear, I just mansplained. Sorry.

Funnily enough, the issue appears to be with male skippers, statistically, there is only one identified as female, that suggests to me perhaps I should avoid all boats with male skippers as the risk of collision is greater, oh, sorry, am I being nugatory. Answers on a postcard please . . .

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456