Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Default Re: Anchoring rights

Need to understand what boat
    I must have been reincarnated because I'm living the life of Riley.

>So 150' of chain in 15 feet of water but less in 40 feet of water?

See below it's a matter of weight the catenary in shallow water it take much longer to lift the chain the wind gets up. In deep water the catenary is much larger and thus holds the boat much longer.

>>Catenary doesn't "hold" anything, it's a name used to describe a certain shape of curve.

It's the weight of the catenary that holds the boat not the shape

Quote Originally Posted by KellysEye View Post

>>Catenary doesn't "hold" anything, it's a name used to describe a certain shape of curve.

It's the weight of the catenary that holds the boat not the shape
    You don't know the terms at all, catenary has no units, no weight, it's a description of a shape which is the result of forces, not the cause of the forces. .

There is a bit in what you say as the force to lift the last link from the seabed gets greater as the depth increases for the same scope (depth:chain length) but even then your numbers are way out. For 10mm chain with a horizontal force of 250Kg the scope required is more like 1:7.4 in 4.5m and 1:4.5 in 12.2m but even then there's little point putting all the chain out in shallower water as modern anchors can stay stuck with a few degrees of up lift from the chain. Little point unless you want to completely hack off every other boat in the anchorage by using far far too much chain.

Anyway, forget looking to catinary to reduce the dynamic loads on the anchor when the conditions really get nasty, it doesn't do much, get a proper snubber.

Quote Originally Posted by BobnLesley View Post
    Where'd the bull go? I can only see its sh1t.
    I wonder what I could smell

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456