Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: When do I use my staysail?

Tudor

That's hugely interesting, thank you.

My ten years' experience of setting the three sails for upwind work is this. Trim from the foremost sail then the next one back as normal (i.e. yankee, stays'l, then main). But what I've found is that, despite the stays'l backwinding the foreward 25-30% of the mains'l when it (the stays'l) is properly trimmed in its own right for close-hauling, it still provides more power than if its sheets are eased to remove the backwinding - in which case its doing no real work! So I just accept the 'kink' in the main and enjoy the slightly faster ride anyway.

Off the wind the stays'l does nothing except rattle around as its even more blanketed by the main than the yankee, unless of course one's running downwind trades-style with no main, in which case the stays'l and the yankee can each be poled out on opposite sides and the yankee furled a bit to balance.

In stronger winds the stays'l really comes into its own with a double-reefed main, but above say a F5 one needs to set up the running-backstays to counteract the 'pumping' forces on the mast (i.e. the running backstays are attached at the same height as the top of the inner forestay).
    A man will always live as long as he has a project

When we sailed an Island Packet in the US Virgin Isles, I did find it a lot easier to tack if the staysail was out as the Genoa slid over it Without the staysail, the Genoa tended to hang up on the inner forestay. Both jibs out and no main also worked well on a good reach. We only had the yacht for a weeks charter so we did not have time to find out all the tricks.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin&Rene View Post
    When we sailed an Island Packet in the US Virgin Isles, I did find it a lot easier to tack if the staysail was out as the Genoa slid over it Without the staysail, the Genoa tended to hang up on the inner forestay. Both jibs out and no main also worked well on a good reach. We only had the yacht for a weeks charter so we did not have time to find out all the tricks.
    Nice description.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12