Default Rust spots on deck gel coat

Based in Gosport, particularly after the boat has been on the hard for a few days I get small annoying rust spots on white deck gel coat. Probably caused by metal particles in the air from activity in the boatyard. Very difficult to remove. Does anybody have any cleaning recommendations, or suggestions on cause?

Default Re: Rust spots on deck gel coat

Quote Originally Posted by daverebbettes View Post
    Based in Gosport, particularly after the boat has been on the hard for a few days I get small annoying rust spots on white deck gel coat. Probably caused by metal particles in the air from activity in the boatyard. Very difficult to remove. Does anybody have any cleaning recommendations, or suggestions on cause?
    You have got to remove the iron that is embedded in or lying on the surface of the gel coat if it won't wash and brush of a mild acid should dissolve them. Apply it locally.

Oxalic acid is your friend (see ebay, don't buy the stuff in chandlers) - I usually just add a teaspoon of crystals into a mug of cold water and paint it on with a small paint brush.
    Save someone's life ... https://www.mind.org.uk/donate

Quote Originally Posted by daverebbettes View Post
    Oxalic acid or a preparation containing oxalic acid ( eg Y10) will easily remove the stain but if hot iron or steel particles ( eg from grinding ) have become embedded into the surface the stains will continue to recur until the metal particles have been removed or have corroded away.

Claybar, if the above fails to dissolve or if they have become bonded.

Phosphoric acid will dissolve the rust, but as above there might be some specks still in there.

Available from wickes-

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Grout...etails_content