Page 31 of 33 FirstFirst ... 212627282930313233 LastLast

Default Re: Andiamo - Let's Go!

If the boat sinks in the lagoon, you just get out and stand up....
    Free supercharging Tesla referral code http://ts.la/jez9763

Quote Originally Posted by Whitelighter View Post
    Easy for you to say !

Quote Originally Posted by Whitelighter View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by petem View Post
    Easy for you to say !
    Steady, you two - there are places in the lagoon where you wouldn't even get your knees wet!!

Very harsh .

Anyhow, changing the subject, we get a Pagnol (locker) with our temporary berth Sant Carles berth. I guess they're not that common in Med marinas but I can already foresee us putting loads of stuff in there...
    Its hardly a "locker".
    When they were built, we were told that they won't put electricity in them - because people have been known to live in them!!!

They are actually quite large - so tall in fact that we have a a kind of "upstairs" in ours!!

The sad thing is (I believe) Parkinsons law - the amount of stuff you can accumulate is directly proportional to the space available.

Pete - I thought you were only staying for the winter months.
    And now you have a Paniol - they are like rocking horse ?hit
    How are you ever going to get away to Cala d'Or?

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    Pete - I thought you were only staying for the winter months.
    And now you have a Paniol - they are like rocking horse ?hit
    How are you ever going to get away to Cala d'Or?
    I dunno Mike, I suspect the Paniol is a conspiracy by you and Jez to get me to load it with junk so that I'll never get away!

In Sant Carles now. Have seen Seralia and Jenny Wren and met GentlemanRacer. Weather appalling but boat now gleaming again!

In Sant Carles now. Have seen Seralia and Jenny Wren and met GentlemanRacer. Weather appalling but boat now gleaming again!
    Ah, I see you have been wondering about up the posh end...
    Free supercharging Tesla referral code http://ts.la/jez9763

Yep - windguru seems to be reporting very heavy rain Wednesday
    Windy from the north on Thursday though into Friday
    But from Monday onwards, it should be back to normal
    You seem to have been unlucky - weather has been good out there for a couple of months.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    You seem to have been unlucky - weather has been good out there for a couple of months.
    Correct.
    I'm further East ATM (in CF), but fwiw I enjoyed half an hour of snorkeling also today, with no need for wetsuit.
    Pretty much as most days in the last couple of weeks, since we flew here.
    And local friends tell me that it has been like this for most of the summer, grrr...
    Just be patient petem, a few days of bad weather don't mean that the summer is over yet, at these latitudes!

Just back from 5 days in Sant Carles. The boat has survived the journey unscathed and a €50 exterior clean by one of the locals and a few hours work on the cockpit by my partner and I soon saw her back to a better state than she left Hythe in. Thanks again to John C and others for overseeing the re-launch.

The marina is pretty big and I'm quite happy with the spot that we've landed. It's not far from the facilities, it's nice and wide and there's a few liveaboards who I know will keep an eye on the boat. We're on pontoon 'N' which is the Naughty Pontoon apparently. I'm told that the other areas of the marina are know as the "Council Estate", the "Pikey Pontoons" and of course the "Posh Pontoons" where Mike, Jez and GentlemanRacer are.

We took the boat out on a longish (20 mile) run down to Peniscola and dropped the anchor for a bit of lunch and a kip. If we'd been better organized we'd have got the tender out. Or if we'd been less lazy, done as Jez suggested and rowed ashore. It was a bit lumpy coming back but good fun all the same.

The next day we had more of a potter around up and down the lagoon where we dropped the anchor again for a couple of hours. Just a few other boats out so wasn't hard to find a nice spot (good holding in some gloopy mud).

Boat seems to be running well with just a few minor niggles so I'll be acquanting myself with the local VP dealer shortly! No problems with fuel so the bag full or spare fuel filters remains intact.

Among the jobs completed, finally managed to put my new boat name on. Went on really well and very satisfied with the results. Being of a stingy nature I didn't bother with polished edges.

Flew to and from Castellon. An hour each way but a great little airport (totally uneconomic for the operator with 7 flights a week in the winter and 14 in the summer). That's the Spanish for you. Flights from Bristol to Castellon and Reus stop at the end of this month so it will be more of a schlepp until they resume again in the Spring.

There's not much I can say about the marina / SCM that hasn't been said before. It's seems to be well run and all the boat owners that we met were very friendly and couldn't do enough to help - thanks if you're readng this. Lots of bars and restaurants in the town and cheap too.

Negatives, there's a few mosquitoes but a plug in thingy seemed to deal with them in the cabin. I suspect fouling will be a problem that we'll have to deal with (not sure I fancy jumping in the marina and bagging them up as other owners do)!
    Last edited by petem; 26-10-17 at 19:21.

Page 31 of 33 FirstFirst ... 212627282930313233 LastLast