Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Volvo MS4. Gearbox

Hello,
    Well started the summer hols and boat all loaded up even the gircast is modetating.
    Short hop down the Orwell as. a taster and midday today set off South. 5 miles out to see we opened her up and all good until after a couple of minutes we came off the plane and lost drive to one screw.
    Limped home up the Orwell under one engine and each left turn needed to do a circle to get her round but she got us home.

Sat back on our berth,Engine starts great and morse moves the box lever into gear but no clonk either fwd or reverse. No clanking or grinding if it was a car it would be the vclutch plate gone.
    Think the hols are shot but wondered if anyone had an idea whats broke.

Cheers, Colin.

Ps we are now going to the pub to discuss options whilst the kids trash the boat. ����
    Last edited by Colin K; 29-07-17 at 16:56. Reason: Time to get tipsy

Default Re: Volvo MS4. Gearbox

Could be your damper plate which has failed, this will be visible when the box is removed
    If you pm me your mob number I'll send you a full manual for the gearbox
    Regards Gerry

Quote Originally Posted by Colin K View Post
    Hello,
    Well started the summer hols and boat all loaded up even the gircast is modetating.
    Short hop down the Orwell as. a taster and midday today set off South. 5 miles out to see we opened her up and all good until after a couple of minutes we came off the plane and lost drive to one screw.
    Limped home up the Orwell under one engine and each left turn needed to do a circle to get her round but she got us home.

Sat back on our berth,Engine starts great and morse moves the box lever into gear but no clonk either fwd or reverse. No clanking or grinding if it was a car it would be the vclutch plate gone.
    Think the hols are shot but wondered if anyone had an idea whats broke.

Cheers, Colin.

Ps we are now going to the pub to discuss options whilst the kids trash the boat. ����
    Cone clutch for a guess, have you manually shifted the gearbox at the control lever side of gearbox.

Drain the oil and see what colour it is.
    Get the box out and bring it to me , I've many scrap parts from various boxes for parts.

Quote Originally Posted by gery w View Post
    Could be your damper plate which has failed, this will be visible when the box is removed
    If you pm me your mob number I'll send you a full manual for the gearbox
    Regards Gerry
    To check the damper plate is still good you can place it in gear then turn the output shaft by hand , if it locks up it's not the damper plate .turn it both ways in forward and reverse before you remove the box.

If the damper has failed would it lock up when turning the output shaft when in gear?

Quote Originally Posted by gery w View Post
    If the damper has failed would it lock up when turning the output shaft when in gear?
    If damper plate is ok by turning the shaft both ways in gear it should lock up as it's trying to turn the engine, what you are doing is engaging the cone into the respective gear cup, it it spins both ways there is a problem, could still be gearbox though.
    Do this without engine running of course , when I say shaft I mean propeller shaft.

Another test is to take top cover off box, select gear and rotate the big top nut and look if prop shaft turns , this will test the bottom gear set which is in effect a crown wheel and pinion, I've seen the vertical shaft shear many times as there is no splined sleeve as per an outdrive .

Thanks chaps,
    Morse controls work levers work on box just no drive bit of a box smell when we came off the plane??

Cheers

Put her in gear and the box turns but does not engage the engine.when i spin the prop shaft.

Ta

Quote Originally Posted by Colin K View Post
    Put her in gear and the box turns but does not engage the engine.when i spin the prop shaft.

Ta
    Driveplate or cone clutch or broken shaft or gears. Drain the oil , if its black sounds like cone clutch has failed.

Is it the same box you done the shaft seal on?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast