Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Oban pontoons

Default Re: Oban pontoons

Quote Originally Posted by AngusMcDoon View Post
    We must be sailing around each other at the moment. I saw BH in Loch Linnhe a few days ago on my way to Port Ramsay. Great place for me as I only need damp sand to stay afloat & there's plenty of that there.

I was in Kingairloch during the recent Morvern earthquake. Most exciting thing to happen there for years, a place where nothing ever happens.
    We were in Port Ramsay on Wednesday.
    Chris
    Out west.... (or in the office)

Quote Originally Posted by awol View Post
    Summer Isles in September? I hope the weather gods are with you.
    Tanera Beag in May......

Ω

Usually South Coast but now West Coast of Scotland

Second half of May, I suspect?

Indeed, 19th May. To be fair, we'd had reasonable weather before that while heading up from Argyll, and then very little rain the next couple of months after rounding Cape Wrath for the Northern Isles.

Apart from the last weekend of May and occasional days at other times, I thought that May, June and much of July was unseasonably cold, with a greater than usual proportion of strong winds, sometimes a couple of points up the Beaufort scale (sustained winds, not gusts). In terms of sunshine though, I think we probably got the best of the weather while in Shetland.

Shetland is a great cruising area imho, just a shame it takes so long to get there; this was our first time but we'll definitely go back again. Ironically, though not surprising from a historical perspective, it's far easier to get there from Norway than it is from most of Scotland, just a couple of long days and one or two overnights - some Norwegian cruising boats got back to Bergen from Lerwick in under 30 hours.

We saw very few British sailing yachts there, and, of them, almost all were from Scotland. Majority would have been Norwegian, with some Danish, Swedish, Dutch, French and German.
    Ω

Quote Originally Posted by Aja View Post
    In the canal now. Decided against the Mull. Decidedly choppy going south from the Kyles today.
    Will get out to play tomorrow and will have a look at Oban in the passing.
    Donald
    I came round the Mull Sunday night, it wasn't bad. It's as well that it wasn't bad, as I came across a Rib with 9 POB (and a dog) adrift with engine failure about 10 Nm north of the light. Took them in tow until a larger towing vessel could take over and tow them to Red Bay.
    That delay meant a devils job getting round, but I made Sanda by midnight for a sleep (being singlehanded).
    Geoff

Me Edinburgh, boat Gourock or somewhere else

Careful Geoff, no good deed goes unpunished!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456