Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 38910111213

Default Re: Well done Alister Trotman

Quote Originally Posted by TOKOLOSHI View Post
    Is the EA fit for purpose? Do the French have the same problem on their waterways? I doubt it!
    Reports on increasingly serious pollution problems on French canals due to human sewage, possibly due to the increasing number of livaboard cruisers.

Quote Originally Posted by sarabande View Post
    AS suggested before, a writ of mandamus ?
    Mandamus exists for situations where no other law exists. I think it would be hard to force the EA to act given the EA chooses what cases are best pursued 'in the wider public interest' so will only continue to chase him off their moorings, eventually.
    When I was in the Navy ...

Unfortunately the only way I see trotman and his floating shacks disappearing from the Thames is if there is an unfortunate, but serious, incident with one of them. It will take a sinking or fire with loss of life or serious injuries before he is brought to account. I actually suspect he will disappear back from whence he came before he could be taken to task, but the result will be the same.
    If found in the Brexit forum, please return to the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by CLB View Post
    I actually suspect he will disappear back from whence he came before he could be taken to task, but the result will be the same.
    Those in the EA and Local Authorities that have been complicit through action or omission on the other hand will have nowhere to hide and will hopefully be held to account. I hope (against expectation) it doesn't come to this, but one day these forum posts and pictures of the EA assisting Trotman will probably become important evidence in an inquiry or inquest.

I suspect he will be absent in the very near future. Eurostar with hand luggage. Boats will be left for EA to deal with

Quote Originally Posted by oldgit View Post
    Reports on increasingly serious pollution problems on French canals due to human sewage, possibly due to the increasing number of livaboard cruisers.
    Where are these reports?
    > french-waterways.com < Information+Inspiration!

Quote Originally Posted by Grehan View Post
    Where are these reports?
    Tripadvisor
    https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g11038881-d241572-r428278157-Canal_du_Midi-Occitanie.html

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g11038881-d241572-Reviews-Canal_du_Midi-Occitanie.html#REVIEWS

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread...mes-not-so-bad

More details further down Tripadvisor comments, most seem to be fairly recent.
    Must admit suprise at poor pump out provision.
    Just for once it would appear that the EA are ahead of the game.
    Here on the Medway we have 2 pump outs on only 15 miles of navigation.
    One of our club members who went from the Medway in his MoBo down to the other "Med" said it was a trip of lifetime, did mention in passing, doubts about water quality in southern section of canal network.
    A bit whiffy or no, would certainly like to try it myself, can just about squeeze under a 12 6" bridge with all the gear down.
    Suspect a bit of planning required. ?
    Suggestions welcome but we have no holding tank. (:
    Last edited by oldgit; 16-03-19 at 08:38.

These 'reports' are typical internet hyperbole, as is the characterisation of "increasingly serious pollution problems" and "increasing number of livaboard cruisers". While it is true that France lags behind the regime that operates in Britain, the waterways authority VNF is actually very concerned to change things (as I know from the close contacts I have with them) both at a cultural and an infrastructure level.
    The Canal du Midi may well be a world renowned, world-heritage, waterway - and it is both marvellous and pretty, justifying it's attraction. But in truth, in high season (July and August) it can be over-full of novice boaters; there are much nicer, quieter canals to explore and France has 10,000km of navigable waterways. Having said that, we transited the Midi in late July in 2016 expecting the worst (timing was a mistake, but . . . ) and it was actually quite peaceful. Worryingly so in that instance (probably not typical) and one of the network's problems is not "increasing numbers" but the reverse, with canals under threat to justify maintenance costs against perceived small number of plaisancier users and closely examined economic returns. I wouldn't judge the Thames based on Maidenhead lock on an August Saturday afternoon either.
    Even in spite of the genuine concern to do something about pumping-out I have seen no proper scientific reports of "serious pollution problems" nor any serious or viable reports of health consequences. The Midi was a busy commercial route for generations; local kids still (perhaps wrongly) leap off bridges and swim in the water.
    Come to France and see for yourself! (I can suggest any number of great places )
    cordialement
    Grehan
    Last edited by Grehan; 16-03-19 at 09:26.
    > french-waterways.com < Information+Inspiration!

Can't "Come to France and see ..." Don't know what the situation will be after 29th March.
    "It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness."

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 38910111213