Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Default Re: Well done Alister Trotman

Quote Originally Posted by FinesseChris View Post
    Both boats have now moved downstream 200m to Canbury Gardens, as of midday Friday, saw them being moved. EA person was sitting in van 100 yards away (something being done to their flow meter) and ignored them.
    C
    That EA person in the van works in flood risk management so wouldn't get involved. It's the waterways team that manage navigational matters. Canbury Gardens isn't EA property so not an EA responsibility however irksome it is.

On another thread, I wonder how the HMO (house in multiple occupation) regulations apply to AT's hotel boats not to mention fire regs. Irrespective of the boat safety scheme, the hulks cannot be lawful in terms of fire and electrical safety for rental accommodation - and I told LB Kingston as well as LB Richmond environmental officers - they chose to do nothing thus putting lives at risk. Shameful. All the councils want to do is displace these boats and give the problem away rather than seek a proper, lasting solution.
    When I was in the Navy ...

There was a big fan fare when Kingston, Richmond and the EA joined forces and dragged his hulks towards Penton Hook. That lasted all of five minutes. What went wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Actionmat View Post
    There was a big fan fare when Kingston, Richmond and the EA joined forces and dragged his hulks towards Penton Hook. That lasted all of five minutes. What went wrong?
    Trotman doesn’t play by the rules and is basically brighter/has a bigger set of cojones than the idiotic dimwits that seem to infest the EA and all councils these days.

To be honest, having seen the bloke I got the impression that he was acting, on drugs, or a sandwich short of a picnic. Which makes the councils and the EA look even worse

The EA went beyond incompetence in dealing with Alisdair Trotman. They were complicit in using their resources to actively allow him to continue. Once his hulks had passed through Teddington Lock last year onto the Tidal Thames they actively assisted him by hauling them back upstream. If left below the lock they would have quickly become a hazard to shipping and been hauled down to Gravesend or somewhere for disposal.

If they were NOT deliberately complicit (as it appears they were) then the EA at least owe river users (on shore an water) an explanation for this bizarre intervention and they have never provided one.

A FOIA request would yield some interesting information, unless the case is ongoing? To anyone in the area,It looks as if the EA has given up.

Quote Originally Posted by Lower Limit 1909 View Post
    The EA went beyond incompetence in dealing with Alisdair Trotman. They were complicit in using their resources to actively allow him to continue. Once his hulks had passed through Teddington Lock last year onto the Tidal Thames they actively assisted him by hauling them back upstream. If left below the lock they would have quickly become a hazard to shipping and been hauled down to Gravesend or somewhere for disposal.

If they were NOT deliberately complicit (as it appears they were) then the EA at least owe river users (on shore an water) an explanation for this bizarre intervention and they have never provided one.
    The EA is constrained by its powers under the Thames Conservancy Acts and the Inland Waterways Order 2010. As navigation authority, the EA cannot stop any vessel from navigating on the non-tidal river, it may only ensure that the vessel and master complies with the acts.

In the case of any vessel, provided it is registered and the fee paid, that is the end of the matter. Should any vessel moor and over stay on EA property then the EA has powers to move the vessel on. The EA may not remove vessels from land that it does not own as it would be acting outside its powers.

The EA hasn't given up, it's merely hamstrung by the laws as they are writ, frustrating as it is. As for explaining to so called customers what it does and why, I've never understood why, as navigation authority, it should justify itself to anyone but DEFRA and certainly not to a handful of noisy boaters who don't like the look of scruffy boats that clog up a few favourite moorings. By all means pop in an FOI but be prepared to wait a month for a response.

The problem won't be resolved until the riparian councils offer long term, residential moorings with proper waste facilities or Environmental Health officers check the hotel boats for compliance.

(Reaches for tin hat)
    When I was in the Navy ...

Quote Originally Posted by Old Crusty View Post
    As for explaining to so called customers what it does and why, I've never understood why, as navigation authority, it should justify itself to anyone but DEFRA and certainly not to a handful of noisy boaters who don't like the look of scruffy boats that clog up a few favourite moorings.
    (Reaches for tin hat)
    Well i dont have an opinion on Trottman, so i dont class myself as a "Noisy Boater" (Jeeze you are annoying!) - but as someone that pays the EA nearly a £1000 a year, i do think they are as accountable in the same way as my local council that i also pay money to.
    I only wish the crap managament at EA could be voted out like a council.

The EA's job is to protect the environment. They've had ten years to train a camera on Trotmans hotels in order to catch them dumping sewage. When the EA gave him a tow through the lock and back onto the non tidal Thames, did anyone check if his sea toilets were sealed, or if he even has a holding tank?

Didn’t the EA spend millions and help draft the 2010 IWO ?
    I’m surprised you didn’t trot out the old lack of money argument as well Old Crusty.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast